TTF font installed, yet InDesign does not recognize it

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Windows 11 computer

InDesign CC 2021 v17.1 x64

I received a project from a client. The client provided the full InDesign package, IDML included.

The IDML was translated into Spanish. The source InDesign is in English.

I installed the font named Montserrat.ttf

Now, it came back to me for formatting.

When I opened translated IDML it says that font Montserrat is missing. So, I tried to change/link it. Surprise, in InDesign, when I select what font to be replaced with what font, Montserrat appears between [] these brackets and has only Regular.

I went to Windows, Fonts and I noticed that in fact, Montserrat is installed on my computer and it has 15 subsets/subfonts: Regular, Thin, Bold, etc.

I deleted the font under the Windows Fonts folder and re-install it. I opened again the IDML. Same error and I cannot find the font.

So, I opened the source InDesign file. Not only that it says nothing regarding missing fonts, but when I go to Replace fonts, I open the window and it sees Montserrat font.

So, I tried to open the translated IDML and paste the text back into source InDesign. The moment I am doing that the font becomes unavailable/missing.

I tried to create a new document, add some dummy text, and change the Default font with Montserrat. Useless. InDesign does not recognize it.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thank you.

Sebastian

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Hi Sebastian,

jmlevy is right, I think.

See also that the missing font shows as: [Montserrat (TT)]

My suggestions:

[1] Deactivate all styles of Montserrat from Adobe Fonts.

[2] Uninstall all Montserrat styles from your Windows Fonts folder, if there are any installed.

[3] Open the IDML file that was packaged with the source InDesign document and hopefully is stored in the same folder with that InDesign document and a Links folder together with a Document fonts folder.

Ignore any missing font

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cloud icon in the font menu on your screenshot shows that you have activated the cloud version of Montserrat, so it seems that you have a conflict between this version and the one which is installed in the Windows font folder.

The client provided the full InDesign package, IDML included.

Is there also a “Document fonts” folder? If yes, you do not need to install the fonts: InDesign will recognize them, but only for the packaged InDesign document. So deactivate all other versions of Montserrat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sebastian,

jmlevy is right, I think.

See also that the missing font shows as: [Montserrat (TT)]

My suggestions:

[1] Deactivate all styles of Montserrat from Adobe Fonts.

[2] Uninstall all Montserrat styles from your Windows Fonts folder, if there are any installed.

[3] Open the IDML file that was packaged with the source InDesign document and hopefully is stored in the same folder with that InDesign document and a Links folder together with a Document fonts folder.

Ignore any missing font warnings and do not substitute missing fonts with Adobe Fonts!

[4] Save the opened IDML file to a new document name in the packaged folder. The one that has the Document fonts folder with the Truetype files from Google fonts. Then close the document.

[5] Better restart InDesign, open the document you saved from that IDML file again.

Then InDesign should show no missing fonts.

It should pick up the font files in the Document fonts folder.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both. It worked. Much appreciate your help.

Sebastian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines