Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TTF Open Sans font does not load from Document Font folder correctly

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I received an Indesign project saved correctly as the Indesign package together with all the required fonts collected in Document Fonts folder.

When I open the file, the prefilight shows no errors and the green indicator is on.

However, all the text content is highlighted in pink as if the fonts were not available.

When I set the cursor in text edit mode, I see the font name in brackets [Open sans ([TT])], [Bold].

To be on the safer safe, I removed all the other instances of the font from Indesign Font folder and switched off Adobe Fonts function, but this bring no effect.

I can replace the font manually with Find/Font replace function and it works, but it also visually changes line spacing between some lines of the text for some font variants - for example for [ExtraBold Italic] although I'm sure I'm using the same font version as the package provider.

Does anybody could advise on the reason of these issues?  

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Jan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the missing font is specified with a type (OTF, TTF…) you can  be sure that the version used in the file is not the same than the installed version. It looks that you are using another version (the OTF version). This problem happens frequently with fonts that exist both on Adobe fonts and on Google fonts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the hint.
However, when I create a new document in Indesign and I check the list of available fonts, I do not see any instance of Open Sans font which means no Open Sans font is available in my system (to make sure I'm not confusing the font versions).

When I create an empty document and save it in the package folder, the fonts from Document fonts folder are available, but they are not used correctly in the document I got from the customer. Does it mean they sent me different font files than they originally used?

When I open the package, the fonts are no

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see any instance of Open Sans font which means no Open Sans font is available in my system

That makes sense… Do you use any font manager tool?

Does it mean they sent me different font files than they originally used?

Packaging a file is supposed avoiding this kind of error, but maybe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I do not use any font manager tool. Adobe font is off.

The situation is strange, because preflight shows everything is ok, but all the texts are highligted in pink and font names are in brackets. Please refer my screenthot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to replace Open Sans by Open Sans (in the find font dialog box)? Did you try to install the provided font in your system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm able to replace it and also I'm able to istall it in the system.

The problem is that when I replace it, I see the baseline changes sligtly.

When it is installed, I also need to use find font to fix this (re-assign the font).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The baseline shift is VERY typical of swapped versions.

Are you sure your prflight profile is checking for missing fonts? It's pretty odd that the text is highlighted pink, the listed font is in brackets, and preflight sees no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, the preflight includes missing font checking.

However... meanwhile I played with various font formats.
I deleted the standard TTF fonts I got from the provider and replaced them with the VariableFont_wdth,wght versions (still with TTF file name extension) and it resolved the problem.

I think they gave me the wrong files, but it strange that the preflight did not detect this correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines