Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type 1 Font prompting when printing using Adobe apps

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My client with many users is experiencing this new issue with the recent Adobe CC update for related apps. They receive this error when trying to print something from InDesign, photoshop, illustrator, etc "error in the screenshot below". May I know how can we fix this error since the type 1 font is not supported anymore? May I know how can we remove the blue notification at the bottom?

graphited67884243_2-1672961355447.png

TIA.

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to remove the error is to replace the Type 1 fonts with OpenType or TrueType versions.

This has been coming for some time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Do you have instructions on how to remove Type 1 fonts and replaced them with opentype version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the 'trick' you can use is:

• Open the document
  • File > Package...
  • Click on the Fonts option
  • Look at the list of fonts and their types. All 'Type1' will need replacing. (Open Type, True Type are OK)
  • Download, Purchase the fonts to replace the old ones
  • Use the 'Find/Replace Font' button (also available from the Type menu) to update the file, updating the styles ('Redefine styles when changing all' option)
  • Save the file as a new document (just in case to keep original intact untill fully tested)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Eric says, in general you will need to purchase new versions, though some will be available through Adobe Fonts as part of your Creative Cloud Subscription.

Some older fonts are not available in supported formats. For those you will need to replace with an alternate font with similar characteristics, or use a utility such as TransType to convert them (but check the EULA first to see if this is allowed). You should also check any files with replaced fonts for text reflow. Even fonts available in OpenType may have differences in spacing that will cause reflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just want to get rid of the error that the users are receiving when trying to print. Are you saying we need to purchase a font to get rid of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get rid of the error warning, yes. As long as the file contains Type 1 fonts the warning will appear.

Is the file still printable from InDesign? I'm afraid I have no idea if the end of support is going to prevent you from printing. I'm presuming PDFs exported from InDSesing will continue to print if they contain Type 1 fonts thart are prioperly embedded since PDF is now a public standard, and that you can continue to use the old fonts in previous versions of Adobe programs, but I can't say for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just click on "Remind Me Later" and it will go away for a set period of time (not sure what length that period is, tho!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying we need to purchase a font to get rid of it?

Another option is to drop back to an earlier version of InDesign, I can confirm that Type 1 fonts continue to work and print with CC2021. I’m sure someday Adobe (and Apple) will add a feature I can’t live without—then I’ll use TransType to covert my Type 1 library.

It has worked very well on the fonts I tested—it keeps the version number so there was no need to use Find/Replace Font—the document automatically saw the converted version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you can use a different font that will look the same - but then you'll need to check the text as it will flow differently - it would happen anyway if you buy OpenType versions.

▒► ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard ◄▒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's also possible, that the Type 1 font is used in the linked object - PDF / AI / EPS file - in that case you can completely ignore it 🙂 

▒► ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard ◄▒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines