Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to change font size with arrows in control panel

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using CS 6, Windows 7

Periodically, the arrow keys next to font size in the control panel on the top of the screen are greyed out. Some time ago, I found a workaround that was perfect. The URL was http://forums.adobe.com/message/4268879.

That message has been deleted or archived and I didn't save the info.

It involved making a text box and typing characters, then increasing the size so the text couldn't fit into the text box. But I cannot remember the rest of the steps.

Resetting preferences isn't a good option.

I cannot upgrade to a new version.

Shutting down takes more time than I have for this inconvenience.

This was described as a bug and when it happens, all files opened area affected.

Does anyone know the fix? Or can we find the original message?

Thanks, 

norma

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've eliminated from consideration every possible fix. You'll have to live with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's certainly helpful, Bob.

I was actually asking if anyone else had seen the post or remembered the fix.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is resetting prefs not a good option?

Seems preferable to spend five minutes rebuilding those to living with a constant headache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I have a number of custom settings that takes way more than 5 minutes to rebuild. It also seems to me that I actually tried this once (it only happens about once a year) and if I remember correctly, it did not resolve the problem.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it takes so long to reset your custom prefs you should be backing them up someplace (after you 've made a clean set) so all you need to do is copy/paste into the correct locations with ID closed, then restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a great idea! Where are they stored, so I can give that a whirl...

Thanks!

n

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Jain...

You have obviously gone to a great deal of trouble to sort through the archived messages. And it appears you have sucessfully found the message number I thought I was seeking. Unfortunately, while this addresses the issue, it doesn't have the fix I was seeking. 

I truly appreciate your effort, but apparently I am just out of luck. 

I'll shut down and solve the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@normar28561211 Oh, no trouble at all. I'm sorry you didn't have the right message number so I could find what you were looking for. But if you have any other clues about it, I'll take a look!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jain,

This problem continues to plague me (it's the little things that make us nuts, isn't it?) After checking this archived thread again and again (hoping to see something else, I suppose), it has occured to me that there were 2 pages of messages in this thread and I believe the solution I seek is on the second page. Is there anyway for you to see if there is another page?

You will be my Christmas hero!

Thanks,

norma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, I don't think so. In the archived view, it appears as though the pages flow onto one long page. At least in 2012 it was that way when looking at a page with 34 replies. I believe the forum software was different back then, too. Anyway, there are only 8 replies in that thread (as the top indicates) and that is too few to extend to another page unless one of the replies was extremely long, which we can see none of them are. So, there are not two pages in that thread AFAIK.

Is it that you still need a fix for changing font sizes through the arrow keys?

Or is it this: “...making a text box and typing characters, then increasing the size so the text couldn't fit into the text box.

Because if you do that, the text box sets to overflow, right? And then you need to resize the text box to see the characters. So I'm not sure what it is you are still after. Can you show or draw an example of what you are trying to achieve? I'm still holding out for Christmas hero ;-).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are so sweet to continue to chase this minor issue...

Here's the story. Periodically, I'll be working along just fine in CS6 and all of sudden, I'll go to change the font size by highlighting the text and clicking the up and down arrows (In Paragraph View) and they will be greyed out. I can still utilize the arrow to right of the text size box, but when trying to guess what size will fit best into my design, it's a crapshoot and takes way longer than I have patience for. 

control-panel.jpg

In this example, the arrows are actually functional. I haven't tried this in the Character View, but I swear there was a workaround and I was horrified when I tried to find it here in the support community and discovered it was gone. 

I remember that it was an odd fix. It started like this...first, you draw a text box and place some text into it. Then enlarge the text enough so the text box appears empty. Next came some additonal steps which are now missing from my failing memory. But it worked. 

I did post a partial solution a couple of days ago that no longer works, so it must have been a coincidence. 

I am working on a PC - Windows 7. 

My current solution is to shut down the program, which really interupts my workflow. 

(I think I must remember to try to change to the Character View next time this happens and see if that works.)

I have noticed that if the Character flyout is open, the arrows work there, so there is that to fall back on. 

Have I been at all helpful?

n

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does help. However, it's been a long while since I used the Creative Suite series. Some things are the same in Creative Cloud versions. Also, I am using Windows 10. So I can't duplicate your issue exactly.

Yes, if you draw out a text box at a fixed size, then type or place some text inside the box, you can use the arrow keys on the left side to increase or decrease the font size (when the text is selected).

You can also put your cursor on the right side (in the size box after "pt") by clicking there with your cursor blinking, and then use your keyboard's up and down arrows to achieve the same thing. And it happens "live" while you are watching the text box. Does that make sense?

JainLemos_0-1640123830473.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

COPIED  Yes, if you draw out a text box at a fixed size, then type or place some text inside the box, you can use the arrow keys on the left side of what? to increase or decrease the font size (when the text is selected).

I'm not sure I was clear about this posted solution. After you had completed all the steps, you deleted the text box and everything worked as it should. 

You can also put your cursor on the right side (in the size box after "pt") by clicking there with your cursor blinking, and then use your keyboard's up and down arrows to achieve the same thing. And it happens "live" while you are watching the text box. Does that make sense? Perfect, and that's another workaround. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Where are they stored, so I can give that a whirl..."

Hi norma,

see into:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html/indesign/using/setting-preferences.ug.html#restore_...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who might be following this thread, I have found an easy solution.

I simply changed the workspace to another choice...default or essentials, for example.

Then change it back to your preferred workspace.

The arrow keys on the control panel will be visable again.

norma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right for those of u experiencing this bug tearing their hair out that adobe have "lost" the original solution it is HERE:
it really should be pineed in the know issues section of ID.

https://web.archive.org/web/20141112044210/https://forums.adobe.com/thread/942509

transcribed as follows:

I understand the EXACT issue (or "bug", rather) which you are dealing with, and it's one of those little things that will drive you BONKERS if you can't resolve it!

This bug will render the up/down arrows to the left of the Text Size box (at the top of the screen) useless. Oddly enough, the arrows beside the Text Size box in the character palette work just fine. Likewise, a numerical value entered in the Text Size box will effectively change the font size as well.

I call this a "bug" because, to the best of my knowledge, it is not a feature of the program that you can turn on/off (purposely or by mistake) from a menu or by pressing a keyboard shortcut.

Restarting the program doesn't [usually] correct the issue, and trashing your prefs is a pain. However, I do believe I have the solution to this bug. It works for most people, anyway.

Follow these steps:

1. Draw a text box (2" x 2" is plenty big)
  2. Fill it with some text - just make sure the text doesn't overflow the box....yet.
  3. Select a portion of the text.
  4. Enter a number in the Text Size box that is large enough to make the text overflow (500 pt. should do the trick)
  5. Click outside of the text box to finish editing the text.
  6. Click the Selection Tool (Keyboard Shortcut "V")
  7. Re-select the type tool - the arrows should now function properly.

Hope this helps!

God bless,

– Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines