• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to copy and paste in InDesign

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working with a project in Indesign all day but the last few hours the copy/paste-function doesnĀ“t work at all. I canĀ“t copy text or pictures within the project or from Word. The copy/paste function seems gone. What has happened?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

It seems like everything is working correctly when I updated to the latest version of Indesign!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the inconvenience. Could you please share a few more details like:

• Which OS and InDesign is this?
  • Is the issue happening while working on a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, or web extensions installed recently.

Also, you may try running the app in safe mode (https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/start-safe-boot-mode-mac.html) and see how it works there.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd  like to add that we have recently encounted Copy/Paste issues since the last InDesing update. We are using Windows and copy from PowerPoint. The Title in the attached example pasted over with a large space between the year and the parenthesis. The source doesn't have the space. Once an image in InDesign, we can't correct. This was not a problem prior to the recent update.  Please advise. 

Thank you,

Lynn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble and delayed response. Are you still facing this issue? If yes, I would request you to share a few more details:

• Exact OS and version of InDesign
  • Is the issue happening with specific PowerPoint and InDesign documents? If yes, could you please share both documents with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link here or via DM.
  • Where are you saving the files (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?
  • Please check if there aren't any hidden characters included in the Powerpoint file. Then, try copy-pasting it in any other apps such as Adobe Photoshop/ Illustrator) or Microsoft Word/Excel, and see if the same thing is happening there as well.

Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like everything is working correctly when I updated to the latest version of Indesign!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear you're back on track. Please feel free to reach out if you run into any other questions or issues in the future. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some offtop here -

I don't like any copy/paste things from word. Did you ever try to place word file? (CTRL+D). 

And some tips about - https://creativepro.com/retaining-important-formatting-when-importing-word-documents/

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. Ā© David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried restarting InDesign?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. One of my colleagues isn't experiencing this problem and she has not accepted the latest InDesign update. Can you investigate if that could be the cause?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lynn,

I'm on Windows 10 with my German InDesign 2021 version 16.3.0.24.

Just did some tests with copy/paste from PowerPoint to InDesign.

For now I cannot see an issue. Could you share a sample PowerPoint file where you see the issue?

Just put in on Dropbox or a similar service and post the link.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please be careful about copy/pasting images from word. Pasting other content than text from indesign can be a tricky part. If you place a word file images can be brought in as  embedded inline graphics. If you paste an image from word or the clipboard you may end up with an image that is embedded but does not appear in your links dialog box. These kind of images can cause crashing or failure to print, and are not visible to InDesign preflight. It is better to extract these images as files and place them in InDesign. If you want them embedded then do so from the links panel after having placed them rather than pasted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hope this saves every one a headache. I resolved this issue by going to Indesign preferences, under general and then to clipboard handling. You make sure that both boxes of "prefer PDF when pasting" and "copy PDF to clipboard" then select OK. That should solve it immediately. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines