• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to create a hyperlink to a text anchor in InDesign 18.1 version

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find how to set a text anchor, even though I can create a hyperlink to a text anchor. Is this a bug? Am I missing something?

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

I missed your last sentence:

To get to the Hyperlinks panel, choose Window > Interactive > Hyperlinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're creating a text anchor, use the Type tool to place the insertion point, or select the range of text that you want to be the anchor. You cannot set up an anchor destination for text on a parent page. Choose New Hyperlink Destination in the Hyperlinks panel menu. Choose Text Anchor in the Type menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite right. Choose New Hyperlink Destination in the Hyperlinks panel menu. Choose New Hyperlink Destination and when the dialog opens it will show Text Anchor:

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 8.14.32 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve's got it.

FWIW, I find InDesign's whole hyperlink feature/system to be unnecessarily complicated and scattered. You may find that it's easiest to avoid all the menus and access points except those of the Hyperlink palette. Between often needing that pane's information and having every related command (as far as I can see) available from its 'hamburger' menu, it helps simplify the effort a lot. (For example, it's frustrating that some of the menus and features are duplicated elsewhere — but this critical one exists only there, a bit hidden!)

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I think something must have changed very recently. I've got version
18.1. When I point at the Hyperlink option, it doesn't give me the option
to add a destination anywhere. I also cannot seem to locate or bring up a
hyperlink panel.

Jon Carl Lewis
He | Him | His
20 Perdicaris Place, Trenton, NJ 08618
(609) 203-8767 joncarl.lewis@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using InDesign 18.1:

1. If you're creating a text anchor, use the Type tool to place the insertion point, or select the range of text that you want to be the anchor. You cannot set up an anchor destination for text on a parent page.

2. Choose New Hyperlink Destination in the Hyperlinks panel menu. Choose New Hyperlink Destination and when the dialog opens it will show Text Anchor (see the illustration on my previous post).

So first select the text for the anchor, then you can choose the option from the menu of the Hyperlink panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @joncarllewis,

Thank you for reaching out, and sorry to hear you are unable to see the Hyperlink panel in InDesign. In addition to what our expert has suggested. Could you please share a few more details?

• Would you mind telling us the details of your operating system? 
  • Does that happen with all files or with a specific file?

I checked at my end on a windows machine, and I can also see the Hyperlink Panel and Destination. Please see the attached screenshot.

HARSHIKA_VERMA_0-1674761268784.png

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I missed your last sentence:

To get to the Hyperlinks panel, choose Window > Interactive > Hyperlinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SOOO Much! I never would have found that!

[personal info deleted by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off the email signature when responding via email. You personal contact info is displayed on the web if you don't. I'll delete it this time for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks, Bob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines