• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to export InDesign (17.2) file to PDF on Mac M1 Max Chip.

Contributor ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

I have a new Mac Studio with 32 Gb RAM and fancy M1Max chip. But unlike before, I cannot export a pdf from Indesign anymore: it says it's working' when I try to make a pdf, but it's not doing anything. i. can also just quit the program without it asking 'do you want to stop exporting the PDF'? or something like that.

Does anyone has a solution? i need PDFs for printers a lot!

thanx!

Martin

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

That is the cause. No Adobe program can be installed via transfer from a former computer or backup disk, not with the Apple transfer installer. It will noit work properly. In your case is an additional problem: you have a different processor and this will need different components.

You have to uninstall everything from Adobe. After uninstallation I recommand to tun the Adobe Cleanup Program which you can get on Adobe’s Website. Now you can make a clean installation via CC Desktop Application,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need some more inputs:

1. What version of InDesign do you use?
  2. Where do you save your files?
  3. Was your InDesign installed via the CC Desktop application or via transer from an old computer or remote disk.
  4. Does it happen with every file or with this file only?
  5. What happens if you create a second user on your computer, do changes happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Willi! Thanks for your reply!
I use Indesign 17.2.1, and I save my files an an external drive as i have done for the past couple of years. The problem started on my new Mac Studio, installed just a week ago or so. 

Indesign was installed through CC desktop application on my former computer (imac 2019) and copied in the installation process to my new Mac Studio. 

BUT i see you are right - it seems to be only this file, I did not get that idea. Smart thinking! It looks like it is font-related, a problem in a font the file uses. The function 'activate fonts' in indesign does not work properly (on all files) - it makes indesign stuck and i always have to force quit. So i activated the fonts i need for this file by hand and it seems one of them is not loading properly. Causing the PDF to not export but stay in export-limbo.

Thank you for your suggestion! It helped me finding the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the cause. No Adobe program can be installed via transfer from a former computer or backup disk, not with the Apple transfer installer. It will noit work properly. In your case is an additional problem: you have a different processor and this will need different components.

You have to uninstall everything from Adobe. After uninstallation I recommand to tun the Adobe Cleanup Program which you can get on Adobe’s Website. Now you can make a clean installation via CC Desktop Application,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Willi, that is actually a really good idea! I will do so. thank you once more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi martin draax,

We would like to follow up on your issue. Are you able to resolve the issue by following our expert advice? Please let us know if you need further assistance.

We would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you, but a clean re-install really worked! THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Harshika, I am flattered you took the effort. But Willi's advice worked: a clean install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines