Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to launch InDesign 2020 on Windows 10 after installing Firmware Update

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I installed a Critical Firmware Update on my Dell PC and since then Ive not been able to launch InDesign 15.0.3- Im not sure it was the Dell update but seems too much of a coincidence.

I was happily using it before the update but now it wont get past the launch visual and shows up as 'Very high' performance on my Task Manager so its obviously trying to open but something is stopping it. 

I've tried switching off my McAfee Firewall when uninstalling and reinstalling the latest InDesign Version but still not launching. I also tried going back to the previous version of InDesign and still no launch. Is it a plug in issue? If so please could you give me a link to try? I saw on a 2019 thread that there was a similar issue but nothing more recent. 

Everything on the McAfee platform seems ok- I checked to see if Adobe was being blocked and it doesnt look like it.

Ive tried signing in and out of Creative Cloud but still no joy.

My Pc is pretty heavy duty, less than a year old and Im working on it everyday as a freelance Designer.

XPS Dell 8930 i7, NVIDIA Graphics, 32GB RAM. It is running the latest Windows 10 v1909 for x64.

I have an urgent project I need to get finished for a client so please help!

Thanks

Marisa

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Hi Srishti,

Thank you for coming back so quickly. I tried the steps but didnt resolve the issue, plus I wasnt actually getting an error code which was odd. However, after having another look on the forums I thought it may have been some fonts I'd installed the same day as the bigger update and turns out by process of elimination it was a set of SVG fonts that were causing the issue! Having unistalled them InDesign no longer stalls at start up and opens up nicely with no issues. 

Im going to email

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marisa,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with InDesign. I would request that if you could try the steps shared in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-crash-on-launch-.html) and share your observations with us.

Also, please submit the crash report by following these steps (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html).

While submitting the crash report please use the same email address, with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

Thank you for coming back so quickly. I tried the steps but didnt resolve the issue, plus I wasnt actually getting an error code which was odd. However, after having another look on the forums I thought it may have been some fonts I'd installed the same day as the bigger update and turns out by process of elimination it was a set of SVG fonts that were causing the issue! Having unistalled them InDesign no longer stalls at start up and opens up nicely with no issues. 

Im going to email the Font owner to let them know about the issue - the .TTF version of the font was fine so must have just been the .svg versions that were corrupted. 

Thanks again for coming back so quickly and your help. 

Marisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marisa,

Glad to hear you were able to find the root cause. We thank you for sharing it with us as it'll help other users having the similar issue. 

Feel free to reach out if you have other concerns, we'll be happy to help. Thanks!

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! Your SOLUTION worked on my ISSUE though it was AE2021, the experience was the same... I remembered i installed some Fonts on my PC sometime back i even installed AE2021... I didnt which Fonts so i deleted a bunch that had some very old date and Im enjoying Application after 2 days of struggle, Thanks to you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mariam - the easiest thing to do, is switch to a Mac. Take my advice. After 20 years of using Macs, they just work better than PC's, especially for the Abobe apps. All of those technical issues you mentioned are not issues on the Mac. Despite hardware upgrades, such as by Dell over the years, the actual Windows OS has simply not kept pace. Behind the pretty facade, it is still very antiquated and creaky, having elements of 20-year old technology like Windows NT, and i suspect, even DOS. So, make you life a lot easier and switch over from the dark side of PC's. You'll be glad that you did!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is a load of crap. PERIOD. I thought that kind of nonsense was finally over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines