• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Save or Export files from InDesign 2022 (17.0) on macOS Monterey

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to macOS 12.0.1 and InDesign can't save or export files anymore. 

What I tried with no success:

• Delete Cache and Prefrences in the Library folder
  • Uninstall / Install InDesign
  • Rebooted the system
  • Logged out and in from my Adobe Account
  • Tried to use the Intel and M1 verison of InDesign. Same problems

So, clicking (or using the shortcuts) Save or Export, nothing happens. When I try to place another document the attatched, broken dialog appears.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. We tried but couldn't replicate this issue at our end. However, few users have confirmed that disconnecting the Sidecar has helped resolving this issue. 

Could you please confirm you are using Sidecar and does removing it helps resolving this issue?

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Not Sidecar @Srishti Bali but I use this USB-C dongle: https://minix.com.hk/de/products/neo-c-x-de (1. version). AND when disconnecting the Macbook from the dongle/monitor, all dialogs work again. 

Please release an update. All other Adobe application work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Was horrified to update to OS Monterey yesterday so that I could update to InDesign 2022 today. Menus drop-downs no longer worked in InDesign so couldn't export to PDF presets and had to go through the "Export" keyboard shortcut. Found one solution. I set the Apple System Preferences -> Accesibility -> Display to "Reduce Transparency". Menu function is now working correctly. Now to go find out where all my PhotoShop shortcuts went...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

This issue went away for me when I updated the macOS to 12.1. I was having the saving issues with Adobe, Microsoft, Chrome and Firefox and other programs, but the update seems to have fixed everything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

When I went to upvote, I discovered someone said that simply updating Monterey to 12.1 solved the problem. So I upgraded. And it did. WOW, wish I'd known it was that easy. All that agony for naught!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Hi All,

We are sorry to hear about your experiences. It seems Apple has fixed this issue. Please update to macOS Monterey v12.1 that Apple released around mid-December. Let us know if you are still facing this issue after updating. We'll be happy to look into it.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 128 Replies 128
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly the new MacBook Pro with M1 chips is shipped with  Monterey... and as I know it is not possible to "downgrade" the OS. So… even if I agree with you – there is no chance to wait as you said…

It's so ridiculous. Now you have one of the best and most expensive computers for designers and it works worse than my 5 year old Intel MacBook. 🙈

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your tipp🤩👍

Now it works perfectly. I was really 😮 shocked 😳 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too! Today, I installed InDesign 17.0.1 the first time at my new MacBook Pro 2021 (Monterey is running) and worked for 3 or 4 hours. At first everything worked fine and as I expected it to do. And than – boom – suddenly these Keyboard- and Menue-Commands stoped working: Place, Save, Save as, Export.

I deinstalled InDesign (17.0.1) and reinstalled it again. Same problem. I deinstalled it again and tried the older Version 17 – but without success. The glitch remains... It's so frustrating 😐

Observation: The Command "Place" works as long as I don't use any of the other commands, like Save or Export. At the moment I press Cmd+S (nothing happens by the way) and then try to place something with Cmd+D – the error occures. 

Happy to be not alone with this error. But not happy to experience this problem anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here!

/Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem here. I am really fed up now 😞 It is hanging, timeglass running, and it stops working. I am so dissapointed, I have used tis for years and now with this update it will not work properly! 

I don't know what to do?!

/Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kindly ask everyone who found their way to this forum page not only to complain to Adobe, but also to address this error to Apple. They have to know about it just as much as Adobe. Apple has this website for this purpose: https://www.apple.com/feedback/
I sent a bug report to Apple under the heading "macOS". The more other users do this, the higher the chance that Apple will also accept this error. And act.
Thank you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just completed my setup with Macbook Pro M1 Max and external Eizo CG monitor. With Indesign I experience multiple problems which seem to stem from the interaction between hardware, OS and software.

- Main menu panels cannot be held open to select options
- Left-click menu's close when trying to slect options
- Save as dialog sometimes does not appear
- Various situations in which (parts of) the interface freezes or does not appear at all

To summ up, Indesign is not usable at all for me at this moment. Hope you fix this soon. This report is also sent to Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same  problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also updated to monterey recently and maybe my indesign glitch below is related? Can someone confirm or point me in a different direction? Some of my images show up distorted and I don't see my text at all. Thank youScreen Shot 2021-12-10 at 5.26.51 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed my new macbook with Montery and indesign 17.0.1
Today is the first day I work with it and both Adobe Illustrator and Indesign crashed multiple times. Indesign had problems with the colours of my fonts (paragraph styles) and previeuwing changes.
Now switched to Adobe Indesign 16.4 and it seems to be stable and working, for 1 hour now.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add; i am only working on my laptop, no extra screens attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problems here. Was forced to upgrade to Monterey because Adobe no longer supported the OS (on MacBook Pro 2018) I was using in its InDesign updates (I was working with InDesign 2021). Which also forced me to upgrade all my other non-CC Adobe apps so the would now work with Monterey. So now Indesign 2022 sub menus don't always work (so I cannot easily select my PDF Presets—keyboard shortcut, "Command E" is a workaround). Disconnecting my Thunderbolt moniter doesn't make a difference and I have had to revert back my documents to InDesign 2021, which seems to be more stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear InDesign users,

I have a HUGE problem with the UI of InDesign 2021/2022 on macOS Monterey. It was not possible to open, save, and save-as files:

– When opening, an almost gray dialog window appears (screenshot attached).

– The functions for saving and saving are deactivated.

After a long troubleshooting (recovery mode, repairing access rights, etc.) I was able to find the error. I am using two Screens:

– Mac Book Pro 16 (2021 model)

– External Eizo display

When I use the external display as primary, the problem occurs.

When I flip the settings (Mac Book Pro 16 as primary display) opening and saving files work again.

I need the (large) Eizo display as primary display.

What ca I do? How can I repair the dialog windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interface glitches are often related to corrupted caches. Have you tried deleting the ID Caches folder?

Users⁩ ▸ ~username ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Caches⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe InDesign⁩ ▸ Version X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course I have tried that. 🙂

After some hours of trying bugfixing, I found this:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/macos12-monterey-known-issues.html

This bug is really very annoying. I can only hope that Adobe fixes this as soon as possible. I'm sure there are many professional users who have an external display. The wasted time is very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @rgrund

Sorry to hear about your experience. It seems Apple has fixed this issue. Some users confirmed that the issue gets resolved after updating to macOS Monterey v12.1. Let us know if you are still facing this issue after updating. We'll be happy to look into it.

Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to save, save as, or even export. Each are listed in the File menu and when I click on them, nothing happens. I click to close a file, I get a dialogue box with the options to "don't save", "Cancel" or "Save". If I click "save", it does nothing. If I click "Don't Save", it closes the file. 

I have deleted the preferences, I have uninstall inDesign and reinstalled twice, I have unstalled and reinstalled Creative Cloud. I've tried creating a new file and add a color block and a text flock with text and try to save or save as and still same response.  I do not get any error messages.

I don't know what else to try. Anyone have any ideas? I've spent hours googling and looking thru help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the InDesign forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which (exact) version of InDesign and OS?

Some thoughts:

Which (exact) version of InDesign and OS?

How much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have?

Do you have any third party apps installed, such as a font manager?

Just to double check you've reset the preferences correctly:

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialogue appears, asking you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it again.)

If you have the correct system specs and resetting the preferences hasn't helped, try the Adobe Cleaner Tool to uninstall InDesign before reinstalling it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek,

I've discovered that my monitor adapter is creating the problem. When I unplug it, I am able to save, save as, export again. 

I did delete the preference files.

I've uninstalled/installed inDesign and Creative Cloud. 

I am using a MacBook Pro, Monterey 12.0.1, InDesign 2022 (17.0)

1TB with 803.9 GB free space

I used Suitcase Fusion 22.0.0

I'm goign to see a tech tomorrow and have them take a look at things before I run out and buy another monitor adapter. I think I'll let them to the cleaner tool. I'll post tomorrow if I learn anything else. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suitcase has historically caused a lot of problems. I know you've isolated the monitor adapter, but you might want to check if turning of Suitcase also makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my thread, they know since last week. Still not working... 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/unable-to-save-or-export-files-from-indesign-202...

I tried 2 adapters. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your patience. Are you using macOS?
If yes, we're currently investigating this issue. Please upvote this issue here and stay tuned for updates.
As a workaround, you may try one of these options:

• Change primary monitor from System Preferences (Display) and then restore the settings back to original. Steps are shared here.
  • If that doesn't help,  we would suggest disconnecting the external monitors.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh, 

Yesterday I did work with a tech and we tried downloading the previous version of inDesign to see if that would change things and it did not.

I just changed the primary montitor to my laptop monitor and things appear to be working. I moved my inDesign screen back to one of my connected monitors and it is still working. So maybe that is the fix.

Carissa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, can anyone help?

I use a Macbook Pro 16" (fully up to date) and use a secondary screen - have done for 2 years now.

While I was using InDesign last week, all of a sudden I was unable to save or export anything from InDesign. The problem soon became clear that it was happening after being plugged into the secondary monitor as when I unplugged it, it worked again.

I wondered if it was the monitor or the connecting cable itself, but I have tried connecting other screens we have in the office (same model & cable, but using a different cable each time) and the issue occurs.

I'm currently in a battle to try and resolve this with customer service and I'm getting absolutely nowhere. They say they'll call and then don't... So I try to resolve via chat/screen sharing and they tell me that's no longer possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines