Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

underline a single number in numbered lists

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,
Is it possible to automatically underline a single number in numbered lists or automatic page numbers? for example if I want to underline only number 6 of a list? thank you

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It certainly doesn't appear to be through the user interface directly, but it might be possible through scripting.

I think it could be done with a GREP style as part of the assigned paragraph style AFTER converting a numbered list to regular text, but you would only want to do this after all editing is complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't that odd! Using a character style, it appears to be possible to apply every modification to a list number except underline and strikethrough.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if you could, isolation to a single unique didgit would not be possible with a marker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't read the OP's question as to how to underline a single digit, but to flag the entire number of one entry in the list. Which is a completely reasonable thing to do in how-to, training and other step by step presentations.

A different paragraph style assigning a different character style to the list number works perfectly — you can change the number font, size, color and even such questionable facets as proportional width and height, but you can't simply underline it.

My recommendation to the OP is to use another characteristic to highlight the desired list number; bold and color would probably be the most 'intuitive.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with your interpretation of highlighting the entire marker, but unless I'm missing something about numbered lists, which is very possible as I rarely use them, you can't pick one number out of the list to highlight until the numbers are converted to text.

Are you saying you can include multiple paragraph styles in the same list?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

• MyListItem — base definition with ListNum character style applied to numbers.
  • MyListItem1 — base definition with a 'reset to 1' setting (optional)
  • MyListItemHilite — exactly the same as MyListItem, but ListNumHilite character style (bold, different color, etc.)

A basic list setup except for being able to tag one (or more) of the elements with the paragraph style that highlights the number.

As noted, this will work with ANY character style variation except underline and strikethrough. I can't imagine why those are excluded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Create a new paragraph style based on the first on, use another character style for the number with underlining here,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines