• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unexpected page breaks

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a paragreaph style for inset quotes in a book I am laying out. But I am getting some page breaks that do not make sense. It is breaking two lines at the end of paragraph to the next page wnen there is room for both on the original.

Page.png

Here are the Keep Option Settings:

Keep.png

I have tried several different ioptions. I thought it might be related to indents and spacing but that doesn't seem to help either:

Spacing.png

I appreciate any suggestions.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

It is obvious: The first paragraph on thr right side ends with a footnote. As there is not enough space for the footnote and the text, Indesign moves 2 lines according your keep options to the next page.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks to me like the right-hand page is honoring keep options. Can you simply turn that off or change to 1 and see what happens? 

Another thing would be to extend the text frame on the left page slightly and see what happens.

Or slightly track the entire paragraph in small increments.

The best approach would depend somewhat on the length of the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had tried this and it made no difference Just one line broke then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess would be that two lines and your 0p6 Space After: setting doesn't allow you to put those last two lines in your text frame.

Sometimes you've just gotta cheat the system. Like Diane Burns offered, just get your Arrow/Selection Tool, click on the text frame and extend the bottom of the text frame until those lines of text popdown into the left-hand page and be done with it. When you turn it into a PDF, the extended length of the text frame won't matter, since Acrobat simply ignores it. And it won't matter for InDesign unless you have to stretch it past the page trim to get those two lines on the left-hand page — not a likely situation.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that before because that had happened to me before. But not it in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is obvious: The first paragraph on thr right side ends with a footnote. As there is not enough space for the footnote and the text, Indesign moves 2 lines according your keep options to the next page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it. I battle this evil triad (keep lines, footnote, column break) all the time. It's a PITA.

Have to adjust text up the flow until there's enough room for the footnote.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is it. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HOW TO TYPE MULTILINGUAL IN INDESIGN 2022?
in previous version of adobe indesign there was an option called COMPOSITE FONT placed in TYPE menu, but in 2022 version there is no such thing, would you please tell me how can I type multilingual in Adobe Indesign version 2022 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines