Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unlinking single cell from imported table

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ! 

I'm currently working on a product catalogue project where I have some characteristics tables managed on excel and imported in my inDD document (as linked media). When i have to update this table, everything is going well on my inDD but there is one problem that I was wondering if it was opssible to fix: I have some "heading" cells that has some cross references (which means hyperlinks into another part of the document) but since you cannot formated links from xls files, I have to write the 'title' of the link on my xls file, and then make the link manually in inDesign. But this manual link, like you should think, is erased if I must reload the link. Since this cell should not change of title, it could be awesome if I could unlink this cell specifically from the rest of the table. 

Do anyone know if it's possible ? 

Thank you : ) 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

@paulineb7653733 wrote on September 23:

I have some "heading" cells that has some cross references

There isn't a way within InDesign to unlink one cell from a table. Since it is a heading, is it possible to put it as text just before the table (or not)?

Sometimes the scripters can work magic, so they may chime in. I added the Scripting tag to your post just in case they have ideas.

Apologies for not seeing your post for close to four weeks.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@paulineb7653733 wrote on September 23:

I have some "heading" cells that has some cross references

There isn't a way within InDesign to unlink one cell from a table. Since it is a heading, is it possible to put it as text just before the table (or not)?

Sometimes the scripters can work magic, so they may chime in. I added the Scripting tag to your post just in case they have ideas.

Apologies for not seeing your post for close to four weeks.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help ! That's the kind of solution I concluded myself a short time after posting this 🙂  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, @paulineb7653733 , I'm glad this is working for you!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to suggest the same thing as @jane-e --put the title in a 1-row table and make it appear to be part of the linked table. 

Another option is to do the links in Acrobat if you are creating PDFs.

(BTW, this email just came into my email feed so I think it got lost in the Adobe forum ether...)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines