• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrade Type 1 font to OpenType for printers

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I know Adobe will be ending support for type 1 fonts and that some fonts will be available through our subscription online activation. But, if we need the phsyical font files so that we are able to access them even if we're not online, is there a way to upgrade? For instance, sending files to a printing company requires the fonts. Basically, what is the best way to upgrade our fonts? We have a huge library collected over the years. Thanks.

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. If you have a subscription all fonts will be available on you computer offline if they were activated in the last 30 days and the subscription is still active. They are saved as invisible files on your computer.
  2. Send the printer not an open file, send them a PDF, it will include those fonts in an embedded form.
  3. If you send them an open indd file they need also the same subscription as you have. There is also no need to send them the fonts.
  4. If you want to upgrade fonts you will have to buy licenses. You can also use some converter app. But not every license agreement will give you the legal permission to do that and as T1 fonts need normally 2 files the hinting might change.
  5. A printer company should invest in font the client use. Forwarding fonts is in most cases not legal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to the helpful suggestions given by Willi, please check out this help article(https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/postscript-type-1-fonts-end-of-support.html) to know more about end of support for PostScript Type 1 fonts. Hope it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kristinallen Your post prompted me to look at what Type 1 fonts I have installed so I checked my folder. I don't have too many but some older book projects used Type 1 fonts and so I'm going to swap these fonts out so any future file updates won't be impacted.

Note that in most cases, if the PDF has a Type 1 font embedded, the file will still print correctly even if the fonts are no longer supported by InDesign. Still, I think it's a good idea to know what files could be impacted with this change coming up. Thank you for bringing this up!

JainLemos_0-1631468841904.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines