• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use Free Fonts Dowloaded from Internet

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to Use Free Fonts Downloaded from Internet and loaded into Font Book, in InDesign Document

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

This might not have anything to do with Adobe.

Free fonts will still have a EULA - and you may not have the correct embed permissions from the font developer. 

You will need to contact the font developer to request a font that allows it to be embedded. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might not have anything to do with Adobe.

Free fonts will still have a EULA - and you may not have the correct embed permissions from the font developer. 

You will need to contact the font developer to request a font that allows it to be embedded. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Bob. Have emailed them. Unfortunately, my paperwork doesn't go back as far as 2009, so I don't hold out for much luck. But, we'll see...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying it doesn't show up in InDesign or you can't embed it in a PDF or EPUB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font was offered for free desktop use by the developer, about 18 months ago, which was when I downloaded it and began trying it out in InDesign. There were limitations on it's use, such as certain items of punctuation that were missing. Earlier this summer, I produced a design for a T-shirt using it, which I plan to put through to production later in the year.
I've recently had serious problems with my iMac, which have involved replacing my external hard drive and spending long hours with Apple Support, who eventually re-installed Big Sur, and re-loaded all my files from the external drive.

Apple suggested I re-loaded all the Adobe programmes I have a subscription for direct from the Adobe site, which I have done. Somewhere in the process, I have lost the ability to use the free fonts that were installed on my computer and which I could freely use before. In the InDesign layout they appear in white on a pink ground and a panel pops up asking if I'd like to replace them with an alternative font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you install those fonts again when you replaced the drives and operating system? If not, then I'm not sure why you would have expected them to be available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Bob

Apologies for my late response, but I've been away.
I'm what might be termed elderly and I'm not particularly technical. I'm afraid I don't understand some of the terms you are using. 

Apologiesfor the delay. By following your advice, and reinstalling the free fonts, I've managed to get them working.

But, I've attached a screengrab of a spread from a book I designed in 2015, prior to the problems I've previously described, I've recently had with my iMac.

The design uses a font called TyStencil Bold I purchased in 2009, when I had a company design a website for me, and which I have used on stationery items since. Under All Fonts in Font Book, TyStencil no longer appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they type 1? Truetype? In any event, if you look in your applications folder you'll find an InDesign folder and inside that a fonts folder. Copy those fonts into that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines