• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using CS4 InDesign files in new Creative Cloud

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe CS4 on an older computer which is probably going to fail at some point. I would like to subscribe to the Creative Cloud on my newer desktop and be able to use the files I created on the older system. Will the new Cloud convert the CS4 files to the new format, as a Legacy kind of thing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Hi Diane,

before "killing" the old machine do two things from all of your InDesign CS4 documents:

[1] Export them to the IDML exchange format

[2] Export them to PDF/X-4 with no downsampling of images and no conversion of color

You can do this automatically in batch with a script by Peter Kahrel using InDesign CS4:

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/batch_convert.html

Note the option:

[ x ] Include subfolders

Why PDFs? If you open a CS4 document in a new version of InDesign the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get a free seven-day trial of InDesign CC so you can test the issue.

(You download the application from the cloud and operate it on your computer in the normal way.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane,

before "killing" the old machine do two things from all of your InDesign CS4 documents:

[1] Export them to the IDML exchange format

[2] Export them to PDF/X-4 with no downsampling of images and no conversion of color

You can do this automatically in batch with a script by Peter Kahrel using InDesign CS4:

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/batch_convert.html

Note the option:

[ x ] Include subfolders

Why PDFs? If you open a CS4 document in a new version of InDesign there will be some changes in text reflow.

So you need the PDFs at hand to compare the results. Why IDML? Could be that there are slight corruptions in your old documents. IDML could sort this out. Not all, but some.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why PDFs? If you open a CS4 document in a new version of InDesign there will be some changes in text reflow.

So you need the PDFs at hand to compare the results.

By @Laubender

Many of my ancient documents, created with the now defunct Ventura publisher, can still be used (at least partially) because I have still the then current EPS exports. Mostly, I needed to recover process drawings and when the style is still working, I do not even need to change a dime. So, even the possibility to be able to place an “old” PDF in a new InDesign could help safe hours of work. Yes, you absolutely need those PDF Exports.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so very much, Uwe. I have made a document with your instructions and will follow them right away, as the old hard drive might die before I kill it!

Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines