• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using CTRL+Space will not zoom in/out

Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At some point, I lost the ability to zoom in/out using the shortcut CTRL+Space Bar in InDesign.  Is there a particular setting that when activated, disables this short cut?  I have no issues with the shortcut CMD+Space on my mac but it completely stopped working on my PC. 

What can I do to correct this?

Note - I am using the most current version of InDesign CC on both my PC and Mac.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

AFAIK, it always was this way in ID (on PC, at least): Ctrl+Space+draw a selection rectangle to Zoom in, or Ctrl+Alt+Space+draw rectangle to Zoom out (smaller rectangle leads to smaller Zoom Level percents).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It must work, as it always used to be. You may want to trash your prefs, or use Ctrl+ / Ctrl- commands. Basically, they do same, except they zoom in/out instantly, to the center of the screen, and without showing that 'zoom' icon. And you can't define a square for zooming in since the mouse is not involved...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that some other program that you are running has co-opted that key command? Try making sure that InDesign is the only program open and try it then. But keep in mind that if something systemwide is using it then opening only InDesign wouldn't make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all of these things, resetting my preferences -- which didn't help. Opening InDesign alone and trying the shortcut keys, still no sucess. I checked system-wide shortcut keys (I'm using Windows 10) and it appears CTRL+Space is used to "Turn the Chinese input method editor (IME) on or off" but I can't figure out how to change that. I don't know that is causing the issue as the scrubby zoom works in all the apps (Photoshop and Illustrator) it just doesn't work on my PC in InDesign.

I feel like this issue popped up a few updates ago and I've been searching high and low on the net to resolve the issue, but it appears I am the only person who has this problem...It just drives me nuts that I can't get it to work. I always use that shortcut but in Indesign, CTRL+Space only allows me to zoom in after drawing a region box. I can't zoom in/out by simply moving my mouse/stylus left and right (with CTRL+Space pressed)....oh well, I guess this just isn't something I can resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you add a screenshot of your Edit menu > Keyboard shortcuts, to see if the shortcut mapping still applies?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed that Ctrl+Space is not assigned to any of the default set shortcut keys. When I Show Labels for the default set, I get a really long text file which opens with notepad so trying to screenshot that is a tricky. Can you tell me which area the scrubby zoom is listed under? I don't see it in the Views,Navigation or the View Menu area.

Views-Navigation.PNG

View_Menu.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Scrubby zoom is only in illustrator.

You can use the Menu>Keyboard shortcuts to assign zoom (usually key Z) to your preferred shortcut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I'm not being clear--I have heard to the term "scrubby zoom" used to define the ability to zoom in and out by moving the cursor left or right or up and down while pressing a series of shortcut keys. The shortcut keys used are Ctrl+Space on a PC and Cmd+Space on a mac. Below are examples of the results  using Photoshop and Illustrator

Photoshop (Ctrl +Space)

Photoshop_Scrubby_Zoom.gif

Illustrator (Ctrl +Space)

Illustrator_Scrubby_Zoom.gif

At a point in time, InDesign did the same thing using Ctrl+Space, but currently, it does not.  Instead it will only zoom in after defining an area of interest/drawing a zoom region box. Below is what happens:

InDesign (Ctrl+Space)

InDesign_Scrubby_Zoom.gif

When I use a Mac, InDesign will perform identical the the above Photoshop and Illustrator examples. But for some reason, on my PC is doesn't work, again, I can only zoom in after defining an area of interest. 

If you have a solution please let me know.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, it always was this way in ID (on PC, at least): Ctrl+Space+draw a selection rectangle to Zoom in, or Ctrl+Alt+Space+draw rectangle to Zoom out (smaller rectangle leads to smaller Zoom Level percents).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know this was always the case, I feel like it wasn't but you're correct that Ctrl+Alt+Space will zoom out so I appreciate the help! Now I have a suggestion for developers to please enable zoom in/out with Ctrtl+Space for PC users since it is enabled on a Mac.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl + Space + Mouse1 drag to do "scrubby zoom" totally works however, not if you press CTRL+Y to go into the path view

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schkorpios75582709  wrote

Ctrl + Space + Mouse1 drag to do "scrubby zoom" totally works however, not if you press CTRL+Y to go into the path view

There is no "path view" in InDesign.

When text or a text frame is selected CTRL + Y will show the Story Editor Window.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, i think it would be better this way, at least they can make like illustrator wich is not really  a big deal and will keep things consistent through all suits or at least ps, il and id, ksince they all already |design softwars !" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi iana69613570,
I don't use ID but in Illustrator you should check the combo key "Ctrl + E", not the path view "Ctrl + Y". Because the CPU preview doesn't support "Smooth zoom" - which is the same as what you want to. In my opinion, if there was nothing like "Ctrl + E", you could re-check in the View menu. Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can set customize shortcut key for scrubby zoom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can likely fix this issue by doing the following:

Edit/Preferences

Performance/

Advanced tab in GPU section

Set it to "Basic" and then exit and restart Photoshop.

It should come back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Signed in just to like this post. This should be at the top. The "Correct Answer" completely misses the point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the correct answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well let's be clear; the thread is (was) about animated ('scrubby') zoom in InDesign running on a Windows computer.

There is no such thing. There are no GPU preferences, and Ctrl+Spacebar+Click/Hold/Drag offers a marquee-zoom function, but no animated zoom. The answer that has been marked correct . . . is correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixes my issue with Photoshop with the same problem. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly on PS for me.  Thank you!  This had been driving me crazy for months when it randomly disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

he is talking about Indesign not ps o.O

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue too when my Ctrl + Spacebar zoom shortcut stopped working. I fixed it just by going to the View menu & selecting GPU Preview. Hope this helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I fixed it just by going to the View menu & selecting GPU Preview."

Not in InDesign on a Windows machine you didn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines