• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Indesign Book File to Change Title Across All Chapters?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My novel has 48 chapters and 6 appendices. I have changed the title, however.

In indesign, I created a separate file for each chapter and each appendix. I set up via master pages to have page numbering on bottom of each page, and book title on top of left page and my name (author) on top of right page.

I put them all in a book file to export, etc to KDP. So far so good, but now I need to change the title.

There has to be a way (using master pages?) to change the title on each of my odd pages without manually opening each chaper, each page... (There are 243 pages in all) But what is it?

Any ideas?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

"There has to be a way (using master pages?) to change the title on each of my odd pages without manually opening each chaper, each page... (There are 243 pages in all) But what is it?"

Hi scout214pack,

open all documents of that book file and run a GREP Find/Change on all open documents.

Suggestion of the Find pattern:

^The title you want to change$

with the applied paragraph style. Let's hope you did not apply this paragraph style outside of your headings.

Change pattern:

The new t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"There has to be a way (using master pages?) to change the title on each of my odd pages without manually opening each chaper, each page... (There are 243 pages in all) But what is it?"

Hi scout214pack,

open all documents of that book file and run a GREP Find/Change on all open documents.

Suggestion of the Find pattern:

^The title you want to change$

with the applied paragraph style. Let's hope you did not apply this paragraph style outside of your headings.

Change pattern:

The new title

Could you write out the old title and also the new title so that I could perhaps see problem characters that should be encoded specially with GREP?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea. Thank you, Uwe...

But I don't have a new title yet...

I'll try this out, though

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your titles are on Master Pages, and the Master Pages are the same name in each document, you should be able to use the Synchronize options in the book panel to make the change globally. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for sharing your idea with me. 

I haven't tried fiddling with master pages

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines