Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Microsoft new fonts in Indesign?

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I want to use the new Microsoft fonts (Tenorite, Bierstadt, Skeena, Seaford, and Grandview) in my indesign document. Does someone now how I can fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fonts have to be installed on your system. If they are, they should should show up in all app font lists, including ID's.

That said, I'm not aware of any "new Microsoft fonts." Were these released with a version of Windows, or the Office suite? I'm not seeing them with the latest Win11 2H22 update.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft Cloud Fonts (which include the ones you mention) are available only to Microsoft Apps while using them and are not available outside of that environment. There are "tricks" to find them buried in your System to be able to install them into your main fonts, but this may be a violation of license. Just internet search for "Make Microsoft Cloud Fonts available to other programs". Still, if they want people to use these fonts in the industry, they will sooner or later need to offer them for download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification. I resolutely stay with Office 2016 since I think the subscription/cloud model for Office is... somewhere between awful and a disaster, and I refuse to use a system that's built for "collaboration and pretties" more than useful functionality. 🙂

That said, and staring at the ceiling as I speak, and making the "code" sign with my left hand... the MS cloud is not the only place to find those fonts, as I discovered in looking for a better answer to the OP.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the MS cloud is not the only place to find those fonts"

Yup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have them too! I used Spotlight to find them:

/Users/Username/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/FontCache/4/CloudFonts/Tenorite

Likely, if you copy them into your Fonts folder you should be able to use them in any program, including InDesign. If you want the fonts ONLY available to InDesign, you could copy the fonts into this location:

/Applications/Adobe InDesign 2023/Fonts

And bear in mind that Microsoft names their OpenType fonts with a .TTF filename extension, just to keep us all a bit confused.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Mac Microsft installs their fonts into their application symbol, so they are not available for other applications.

1. Go to any MS app, like PowerPoint
  2. Right Mouse Click > Show Package Content
  3. Go to Contents > Ressources > DFonts

There you find all available MS fonts (and in “Other Fonts” with all programm icons). From there you can copy (not move) them to a font folder where these fonts can be seen from all other applications and be used from them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Go to Contents > Ressources > DFonts"

CloudFonts do not download to that location. They go to a FontCache folder buried in your Mac's User > Library

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! These are the only instructions that worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This article dated 29 April 2021 says the (then) new fonts will be available in up-to-date Office 365 for Windows and Mac will be soon. Looks like these fonts are only available if you have a 365 subscription. “Cloud fonts are fonts hosted in the cloud by Microsoft 365, and are available in the latest versions of Office applications.” I have Office Home and Business 2019, but they aren't installed. Too bad!

The directory in Windows 10 is: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FontCache\4\CloudFonts. I have some fonts there, but not these new ones.

You can find free online versions of Tenorite. One version I downloaded looks somewhat close but I didn't find any of the nice display versions. I don't know what licenses are included in free versions, so tread carefully! I also note the cloud fonts are not available through the Microsoft store yet, so you can't seem to buy or download them separately from 365.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have some fonts there, but not these new ones."

They are not downloaded to that folder until they are used. Until then, they appear in the menu with a cloud symbol beside their name. They also will have temporary names in the CloudFonts folder that are not the font's name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines