Usual rubbish Adobe - Lost work

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe, CEO, and entire team

Forget about all extra services you do - just get the bloody basics right. I really just want to tell everyone at adobe - that they are all useless. Which I know isn't true. But when the very basic shyte goes wrong - its infinitely infuritaing.

And before everyone goes on about back up your work please read what happened.

I've been a design a professional for near on 20 years. And I've been using Adobe software for a long time. I was using CS6 until very recently on a pretty old laptop - and despite it being slow at times I don't think I ever lost work (that wasn't my own fault). Yes there were crashes - primarily down to my laptop being slow-ish for certain tasks - but nothing went wrong.

About a year ago, I upgraded and now run the latest everything on the latest macbook.

I worked on a document today. It was saved.

I closed my laptop with the file open - something I've done a gazillion times.

I opened my laptop - I get an Indesign error (file crashed - to recover file click continue).

I did. And then I assumed the file would be fine and I stupidly overwrote the same file - and not Save As.

But when I went through the document - random text boxes throughout the entire document - had all the text removed. Just completely randomly. 

I basically at a loss for words. The file was a simple 40 page document - and when I say simple - I mean literally three text boxes with simple headlines. No imagery / No crazy filters / No graphics. Just text boxes.

And InDesign effin crashes. and looses random effin text boxes - not all the text boxes - but rnadom text boxes throughout the document.

effin useless. 

Anyway I'm sure people will be saying don't overwrite the file you should have done Save as - but does anyone seriously expect random text boxes with text just disappearing into thin air?

TOPICS
Bug, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, of course, that you're talking to other users like yourself so your rant isn't going to do much.

I do feel your pain though. I learned the hard way that even with CS6 you NEVER leave a file open and walk away for an extended period of time.

Just to be sure this isn't some other bug with ID and the latest Mac OS, where we see reports here of random text disappearing while typing, try opening the story in Story editor and see if everything is there.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeh I know its just the community but just wanted to vent about how absurd I find with whats happend - clearly Adobe themselves dont want to hear about it. I understand why Steve Jobs wanted to eliminate Flash now - constantly creating below par software and charging a bomb out of people becuase they know they are the industry standard at mo.

I would be kinda forgiving if this was a super complex document - and that probably why I'm so annoyed. 

Yeh thing is I saved the file - and I'd imagine the recovered file - would be same as the saved file - with whatever new changes I made - and no one expects to check every page of the document to check something hasn't randomly disappeared.

The funny thing is I always save multiple versions of the file - and this one file which I created today goes wrong.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the way it always happens, and usually on deadline.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @shueb0D45:

I also feel your pain. We've all been there for one reason or another. Have you tried recovering the file using Time Machine?

And if you are ready for suggestions as you move forward... consider saving directly to the CC drive or Dropbox or OneDrive. Those cloud storage options make automatic intermittent backups so that you can recover an earlier version. 

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was using CS6 until very recently on a pretty old laptop ...

But when I went through the document - random text boxes throughout the entire document - had all the text removed. Just completely randomly. 

If you have recently moved to CC on an older machine, try unchecking GPU Performance in preferences—an older machine can have a graphics card that can use the GPU, but might not have enough video RAM to use it effectively. The symptoms are inaccurate screen draws.

Also, in case it wasn’t clear from @Barb Binder ’s post, your CC subscription installs a folder in you computer’s user account named Creative Cloud Files. Files and folders of any type that are saved inside of that folder automatically sync to your remote cloud account, and it is possible to log into your account via a web browser and find earlier saved versions of saved files.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines