• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

VANISHED INDESIGN FILE

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working on a book and the Mac started getting sluggish ... I was working on a huge project  - so I had been saving my BOOK systematically (250 Pages which had been edited over a week) and Saved again before quitting Indesign - Rebooted the iMAC computer and started Indesign and there is NO SIGN of any 31st August saved file.  It has completely disappeared. Indesign does not go into recovery mode.  WHERE IS ALL OF MY DAYS AND DAYS OF HARD WORK GONE?  HELP!!!!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Panic Over - Indeed I did and found it after scouring the 21 incremental

backups I have made. This was a very strange situation as it was not where

it was supposed to be and while present was rather hidden in a folder that

I was not saving the files to.... I thought that it was weird that it would

just disappear. However it was really disconcerting to not have it appear

in the Recents list (That had gone back to early August which was also very

strange.)

By the way I have no InDesign Recovery File in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you searched your computer for all .INDD files? It's highly unlikely that a file would just disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Panic Over - Indeed I did and found it after scouring the 21 incremental

backups I have made. This was a very strange situation as it was not where

it was supposed to be and while present was rather hidden in a folder that

I was not saving the files to.... I thought that it was weird that it would

just disappear. However it was really disconcerting to not have it appear

in the Recents list (That had gone back to early August which was also very

strange.)

By the way I have no InDesign Recovery File in Caches - Does that only

happen when there is a crash ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ascswitzerland,

While you make changes to an InDesign document, InDesign performs a mini-save of the changes once every minute. InDesign stores these changes in temporary files in the InDesign Recovery folder, adds the changes to the document, and then deletes the temporary files every time you choose File > Save. If InDesign shuts down unexpectedly, InDesign attempts to use these temporary files to recover unsaved changes to the document. Here's the detailed article:

Recover InDesign documents

Regards,

Om

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No doubt you'll find your file but treat it as a cautionary tale – always make regular incremental copies of your work and save them externally as well as locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I learned my lesson to download a copy of my Indesign file I'm working on, perhaps at the end of every day. Today my Indesign file disappeared and it disappeared for good. I was just about to publish it online when something glitched and the program shutdown. The duplicate file I created when it looked like I was having problems, disappeared too. An adobe rep shared my screen and he confirmed it was indeed gone. All he could explain was it must have been a corrupt file of some sort. He didn't know. So, while my memory is good, I'm working to redo it, but it sure has been a sad reality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines