Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vector indesign

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I try to vector all the text on different pages. Is there a way to do it or do I pages by pages ?

Thanks all

Pierre

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Hi Pierre,

if you want the vector outlines of the texts in an exported PDF, do the conversion in Acrobat Pro.

Switch to the Print Production workspace and open Acrobat's Preflight panel. Go to Acrobat Pro DC 2015 Profiles, select Single Fix-ups, see into Document, there is the command "Convert fonts to outlines".

ConvertFontsToOutlines-SingleFix-AcrobatPro.png

Run the command with the Fix button.

Under "Further Options" you could tell Acrobat to do this on all pages of the PDF or only on certain pages.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Commun

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean convert text to outlines? If so, why do you want to do that?

Best practice is to leave text live, but if you absolutely must convert to outlines it should be done as part of export to PDF.

InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Converting Text to Outlines The Right Way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pierre,

if you want the vector outlines of the texts in an exported PDF, do the conversion in Acrobat Pro.

Switch to the Print Production workspace and open Acrobat's Preflight panel. Go to Acrobat Pro DC 2015 Profiles, select Single Fix-ups, see into Document, there is the command "Convert fonts to outlines".

ConvertFontsToOutlines-SingleFix-AcrobatPro.png

Run the command with the Fix button.

Under "Further Options" you could tell Acrobat to do this on all pages of the PDF or only on certain pages.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe ! you are my hero ! thanks a lot 

You make me win so much time 

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To go further, outligning fonts is generally a bad practice. You will loose all the search features in the final PDF and the print process time can be very slow. Is it a request from your printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes ! it's the printer who wants that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ouch! That's a very bad sign… Is it an online printer? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ouch! That's a very bad sign… Is it an online printer? 

By @jmlevy

I had this with Chinese and Taiwan printers. Basically, what they did was to edit my PDF files in Illustrator and doing some obscure stuff. I told my colleagues in Taipei and Beijing, that they should explain that this would be highly unwanted and that if they can't print my designs “out of the PDF”, that we need to change the printer. They agreed, but needless to say that when I got a sample, I saw the faulty editing.

This said, the printer should explain why the hell he needs to have outlined fonts. Because surely @Pierre24873937n8mk will have a problem with that.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look out for another printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer your original question:

"or do I pages by pages"

If you have to do the conversion in InDesign you have to to do it spread by spread if you select all text frames on a spread.

If the text is running through several text frames from page to page you could select all text in the threaded story and then apply the command.

Warning:
Be aware, that not all of the text is converted right. Auto numbers and auto bullets are missing. Underline is missing and if you do a conversion of all text in a frame the frame vanishes as well so properties like a color fill on a text frame will also vanish. (Plus a hundred of other things that could go wrong…)

Better do it in an exported PDF when in Acrobat Pro as I have shown this in my post above.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other problem with outlined text is it loses the "hinting" built inot most fonts wihich makes them easier to read and results in the text appearing bolder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines