• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vectors in INDD and size

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create greeting cards and just cannot figure this out. Sorry if this is a bit long

I create vectors in illustrator but feel more comfortable designing in indd. I then bring vectors into indd and print them size as, say 5”x5” as physical cards, which is no problem. 

My problem is that when I reduce each card to thumbnail size and create sort of a small product sheet catalogue. 

Up til now I have been grouping the vector and text of each card in indd and then just scale it down to approx 1”x1” to make the thumbnails. So approx 20/page and roughly 25-30 consecutive pages that are viewed online by retail customers. My problem is that doing it this way the file ends up about 20-30MB, even if I save as lo res pdf. 

I am not sure of a straightforward and efficient way to make the thumbnails lo res to keep file size down to under 3MB or less. thanks !

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would recommend to export the INDD as PDF/x-4, place those as thumbails and place these as thumbnails. If you want to provide them via web, export that PDF as interactive PDF.

Vectors are resolution idependent, but you could try to reduce the number of anchor points of the vectors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help! I will try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So approx 20/page and roughly 25-30 consecutive pages that are viewed online by retail customers

For fast online viewing you can force your complex vectors to rasterize by including a transparent object somewhere on the spreads—it could be a transparent page item on the Parent page—and flatten the pages on export. Something like this:

Screen Shot 17.pngScreen Shot 18.png

The custom Flattener preset:

Screen Shot 16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your help! I will try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines