Version 4 ICC Profiles were converted to version 2 ICC Profiles during PDF Export.

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help.  I've tried cleaning up doc, no errors present; I've tried saving a copy; i've tried saving, closing reopening indesign and exporting, still fails.  What is going on.  How can i even find what profiles are the issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019
Usually that means there is a placed object causing the error. Try exporting the first half, then the second half and keep splitting the page range until you find the offending page.

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021
Hey I struggled with this for a bit. Went through the advice other people gave and still had issues. Some of my ICC desginations were just blank in my links panel so I couldn't figure out if those were tripping me up. Simplest solution for me was to go to export and when you get the dialog export box go to Output on the left hand side, you'll see an option for Color Conversion: click on the drop down box and select Convert to Destination. Hope this helps. 

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rob. So this message only occurs on images that were taken with an iPhone? 

So here's my problem. The file that's creating the warning was provided to me as a .png—probably because my client needed a transparent background. Unfortunately, they don't have the original .jpeg. In looking at the file overview, it's 2208 x 1242 pixels at 72 ppi. And yes, I now see the Display P3 color profile. I really don't like using .pngs for a print project, but it's all I have to work with. 

So far, I'm only getting this warning message when creating a PDF using the InDesign 16.3.2 High Quality Print PDF preset, which is not editable. When I use my uPrinting preset I don't have a problem because the Color Conversion is set to Convert to Destination.

Fortunately, the problematic image is printing small. Just 3.5" x 2" high. Is there anything I need to be aware of or set before I send this job to my printer?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rob. So this message only occurs on images that were taken with an iPhone? ... And yes, I now see the Display P3 color profile. I really don't like using .pngs for a print project, but it's all I have to work with.

It happens when there are version 4.0 ICC profiles in use. You can open the PNG in Photoshop and do an Edit>Convert to Profile.. with the Destination set to AdobeRGB—that will preserve the PNG’s color appearance. Resave the .png as a .PSD with the AdobeRGB profile embedded, and that should prevent the warning unless you have another version 4 profile in the ID document.

Screen Shot 9.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm going to print this on a sheetfed press, wouldn't I convert to the Display P3 profile to something like Working CMYK - U.S. Sheetfed Coated v2, or is that handled by InDesign?

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could make the conversion to US Sheetfed in Photoshop, but your InDesign CMYK profile assignment should also be US Sheetfed Coated, so the conversion of all RGB color can happen during an InDesign PDF export by setting the Destination to US Sheetfed.

The advantage of leaving images in your preferred RGB editing space is, the output CMYK destination can change (i.e., a new printer wants GRACol Coated) and you can avoid the extra CMYK-to-CMYK conversion at export or output

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That worked perfectly. Thanks, Rob!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

heres what did it for me (only solution that neither compromised colour not resolution):
in the export window go to output - color conversion: convert to destination - (IMPORTANT) destination: sRGB (etc)
since i want to keep the rgb profile (the pdf is only to be viewed on screens)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines