• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to overcome ICC profile warning & export an ID file to PDF

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help.  I've tried cleaning up doc, no errors present; I've tried saving a copy; i've tried saving, closing reopening indesign and exporting, still fails.  What is going on.  How can i even find what profiles are the issue?

***** Title renamed by Moderator "VS" *****

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Usually that means there is a placed object causing the error. Try exporting the first half, then the second half and keep splitting the page range until you find the offending page.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Just to go a little further on this problem and for anyone else who's experiencing it and finds this thread, the ICC Profile warning usually occurs when you have an RGB image placed in a CMYK document. Fortunately, in InDesign, you can choose to view an ICC Profile column in the Links Panel. Go to the Links panel, in the pull down menu, scroll down and select Panel Options... In the Panel Options pop up window, select ICC Profile under Show Column. In the same Panel Options window, you can also

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Hey I struggled with this for a bit. Went through the advice other people gave and still had issues. Some of my ICC desginations were just blank in my links panel so I couldn't figure out if those were tripping me up. Simplest solution for me was to go to export and when you get the dialog export box go to Output on the left hand side, you'll see an option for Color Conversion: click on the drop down box and select Convert to Destination. Hope this helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot!!

This solved my problem too!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally! I wondered why one file gave me this conversion error, while another never did, even though they both had RGB images. "Convert to Destination" was the difference. Thank you so much for this easy fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow this helped me as well! Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This worked 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ERROR SOLVED. The color issue is from iPhone photos. When taking them into Photoshop and resaving them, in the last window when you save as psd, jpeg, etc. at the very bottom there's a check box that says "Embed Color Profile" and if it's checked "Display P3" it will generate that error in INDESIGN when exporting the pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MsECD, Thank You. A god-send. How in the hell are we supposed to know all this stuff? How and why you know this stuff is mind baffeling... but I'm glad you do and were nice enough to share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @M5ECD ! Your solution worked.

Out of curioisty, what does unchecking Display P3 do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curioisty, what does unchecking Display P3 do?

It saves the file with no RGB profile embedded, which you actually do not want to do. The better approach would be to open the iPhone image and do a convert to profile with the destination set to a large gamut RGB editing space like AdobeRGB and then save with the profile embedded. 

Display P3 is a version 4 profile. You could also leave the Display P3 profile embedded and ignore the export warning

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rob. So this message only occurs on images that were taken with an iPhone? 

So here's my problem. The file that's creating the warning was provided to me as a .png—probably because my client needed a transparent background. Unfortunately, they don't have the original .jpeg. In looking at the file overview, it's 2208 x 1242 pixels at 72 ppi. And yes, I now see the Display P3 color profile. I really don't like using .pngs for a print project, but it's all I have to work with. 

So far, I'm only getting this warning message when creating a PDF using the InDesign 16.3.2 High Quality Print PDF preset, which is not editable. When I use my uPrinting preset I don't have a problem because the Color Conversion is set to Convert to Destination.

Fortunately, the problematic image is printing small. Just 3.5" x 2" high. Is there anything I need to be aware of or set before I send this job to my printer?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rob. So this message only occurs on images that were taken with an iPhone? ... And yes, I now see the Display P3 color profile. I really don't like using .pngs for a print project, but it's all I have to work with.

It happens when there are version 4.0 ICC profiles in use. You can open the PNG in Photoshop and do an Edit>Convert to Profile.. with the Destination set to AdobeRGB—that will preserve the PNG’s color appearance. Resave the .png as a .PSD with the AdobeRGB profile embedded, and that should prevent the warning unless you have another version 4 profile in the ID document.

Screen Shot 9.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm going to print this on a sheetfed press, wouldn't I convert to the Display P3 profile to something like Working CMYK - U.S. Sheetfed Coated v2, or is that handled by InDesign?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could make the conversion to US Sheetfed in Photoshop, but your InDesign CMYK profile assignment should also be US Sheetfed Coated, so the conversion of all RGB color can happen during an InDesign PDF export by setting the Destination to US Sheetfed.

The advantage of leaving images in your preferred RGB editing space is, the output CMYK destination can change (i.e., a new printer wants GRACol Coated) and you can avoid the extra CMYK-to-CMYK conversion at export or output

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked perfectly. Thanks, Rob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These darn pictures were what was messing up my file. Thank you, Thank you THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG. You are a godsend. Thank you!

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at Nov 11, 2022   8.13.36 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

heres what did it for me (only solution that neither compromised colour not resolution):
in the export window go to output - color conversion: convert to destination - (IMPORTANT) destination: sRGB (etc)
since i want to keep the rgb profile (the pdf is only to be viewed on screens)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you AMELIA5EE7! That worked for me and it was a life-saver! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that this issue occurred when I placed files directly from a multipaginated PDF into the INDD file. So my solve was to export the desired pages as PNGs and place those instead, which worked. Not sure if this would happen with other placed files - like PSDs, etc. But PNGs / JPGs worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yo this was super helpful thanks homie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

had also this case with an image that had the "Display P3" profile.

It was converted to version 2 when I exported e.g. with the default [PDF/X-3:2002] PDF export setting, because InDesign tries to maintain the RGB data of the image and has obviously some issues with the version 4 entry of the profile.

The message is no error.

It's just a reminder, that the profile was converted to version 2.

No damage is done, I think.

Acrobat Pro's Object Inspector in Output Preview of category Print Production is listing the applied profile as "Modified Display P3":

AcrobatPro-ObjectInspector-Modified Display P3.PNG

FWIW:

In a different workflow where all RGB data is converted to CMYK during the export process the version 4 profile is no issue at all, because InDesign does not try to write it to the exported PDF.

CLARIFICATION:

This is only true if the output intent is a version 2 profile like my ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI) profile.

See Rob's reply below where a version 4 CMYK profile (e.g. Coated GRACol 2013) is used. Then the message comes up as well.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where all RGB data is converted to CMYK during the export process the version 4 profile is no issue at all,

Hi Uwe, I still see the warning in version 16.4 when exporting to PDF/X-1a (all CMYK) and the Assigned document CMYK profile and Output Intent are a version 4 CMYK profile (e.g. Coated GRACol 2013). It has no affect on the output Separation values they convert as expected on the Export, so I ignore the warning:

Screen Shot 49.pngScreen Shot 51.png

Screen Shot 50.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting to see this, Rob!

The last time I tried this it was no issue and there was no message.

Tried again with a PDF/X-3 with Convert to Destination (Preserve Numbers) like that:

INDD-ExportToPDF-X-3-ConvertColorsToCMYK(MaintainValues).PNG

"CMYK-Arbeitsfarbraum" traslates to "CMYK Working Space" in option "Target" and option "Output Intent Profile Name".

Also tried this with a PDF/X-1a export preset like that. This time with "Target" Document-CMYK - ISO Coated v2 300% (ECI):

INDD-ExportToPDF-X-1a-ConvertColorsToCMYK(MaintainValues).PNG

Well, in both cases I had no message that a ICC profile version 4 was converted to version 2.

Rob, I'll send you my files in a private message later…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All my tests done with InDesign 17.2.1.105 on Windows 10.

I also will run them on InDesign 16.4 and report back.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you double-check that the profile is version 4? My Apple ColorSync Utility has ISO Coated v2 300% as version 2.4

Screen Shot 52.png

It shows GRACol 2013 as version 4.2:

Screen Shot 53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines