Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vertical grid A4 magazine

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm looking for the perfect vertical grid to use in my A4 magazine template - to place images according to. 

Any grid that you can reccomend/best practise?

I can't find anything online on this i.e. specific number of sections to devide in vertically.

Belsen

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

To add to Randy's reply, if you have a LinkedIn Learning account, Nigel French has several courses that would be relevant, he's a real "grid guy" 😊 Here is one example, you can just watch the lessons that are relevant: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/designing-with-grids-in-indesign-2/creating-better-designs-with-grids

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no common rule, if you make a raster you have to see all imfluences:

1. Borders
  2. Leading
  3. Font
  4. Font Size
  5. Gaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Belsen,

if you think about constructing a grid for your layout, note, that there is a script with every installed version of InDesign that can convert a rectangle to rows and columns.

Look into the Scripts panel > Application > Samples > JavaScript > MakeGrid.jsx

Select a rectangle and run the script with a double-click or with the menu command of the Scripts panel.

From my German InDesign:

MakeGridScript-1.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think in multiples.

Say, you want to design your magazine two, three and four column formats. If you easily want a design grid which can accommodate two, three and four column formats, you want to set up a 12-column design grid, which divides nicely into halves, thirds and quarters of your page, as shown below:

1-12 col grid.jpg

It even helps you "cut into" columns with your image frames, as illustrated below:

1a - 12 column w-images.jpg

This should help you get past your vertical grid challenges. You'll have to manually lay out your text frames instead of relying on parent text frames, but that's probably the way you should be laying out something like a magazine anyway. There are just too many variables in setting up attractive magazine layouts to rely on automatic tools to make things easy for you.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to Randy's reply, if you have a LinkedIn Learning account, Nigel French has several courses that would be relevant, he's a real "grid guy" 😊 Here is one example, you can just watch the lessons that are relevant: https://www.linkedin.com/learning/designing-with-grids-in-indesign-2/creating-better-designs-with-gr...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for your input.

I did not know about Nigel French - I'm watching his video now. It looks like something I can benefit from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines