• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Want animations not to play again if user goes back to page

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a two page digitally published PDF with some simple animations. Once the user views page one and page two as intended, is there a way for the animations not to play if the user goes back to page one?

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Advisor , Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

To add to others' reply, you can't have animations in a PDF. Are you using Publish Online? If not, you should check it out! Here are some examples of some great interactive projects done with InDesign and Publish Online: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection.

Assuming you are using Publish Online or other format that supports animations (such as ePub, for example), I don't know of any way to avoid the animation on Page 1 from playing again if the user goes back to that page. Animations are generally tri

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Apologies, my question was very poorly written. Yes, I'm just publishing it online.
Essentially we animated an existing sales sheet and published it online to add a little character.
Nothing over the top, just some text boxes fading in and images coming in from the sides.

It's multiple pages, and the client was hoping that if they went "back" to a previous page it would be static. But I think my question has been answered, and that isn't possible without adding a button to trigger the animation.

S

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't have animations in PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Derek point out, this is certainly is not a PDF and the answer is no, you cannot control that natively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to others' reply, you can't have animations in a PDF. Are you using Publish Online? If not, you should check it out! Here are some examples of some great interactive projects done with InDesign and Publish Online: http://bit.ly/PubOnCollection.

Assuming you are using Publish Online or other format that supports animations (such as ePub, for example), I don't know of any way to avoid the animation on Page 1 from playing again if the user goes back to that page. Animations are generally triggered by "On Page Load," or by a button or trigger of some kind. I can't off the top of my head think of any way to achieve what you are looking for, unless you can let the user trigger the animation with a button of some kind. Perhaps others will have an idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, my question was very poorly written. Yes, I'm just publishing it online.
Essentially we animated an existing sales sheet and published it online to add a little character.
Nothing over the top, just some text boxes fading in and images coming in from the sides.

It's multiple pages, and the client was hoping that if they went "back" to a previous page it would be static. But I think my question has been answered, and that isn't possible without adding a button to trigger the animation.

So thanks all for the replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately a page in an epub or published online is basically a web page, and these are "stateless": meaning that the state of a previously visited page cannot be retained or recalled.

So a page that starts an animation will always start that animation when it is visited. There is no way to tell it to not play the second time it is viewed.

That said, a simple solution would be to have 2 versions of the same page: the initial animated version, and a copy that is static. Then manage your navigational structure in such a way that users will be navigating to the static version.

Not perfect, since any page may be visited using the general navigation in Publish Online. But it might be an alternative approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you set the animation upon page load it will do that. Have the animation load with a button action not an option? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines