Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weight issues between original file and copy

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm doing graphic novel and I have a file with the thumbnails/sketches of each chapter in an inDesign file with the text added to it. I needed to do a copy of that original inDesign file to make a small change to do a proofcopy. But now the PDF that I exported from that copy is two times heavier than the original PDF. When I looked at the original inDesign file, it was 4MB, but the copy is now 6.3MB. There are no added images, no added text, I just changed the images for new ones, but the amount stayed the same, the images don't weight more than the originals and there's nothing else added to it, yet, the file is heavier. 

What could be happening? 
Thank you! 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just changed the images for new ones, but the amount stayed the same, the images don't weight more than the originals and there's nothing else added to it, yet, the file is heavier. 

Editing activity stacks bytes up over time, defying the "I-didn't-add-anything" logic you're applying. Are you truly certain you kept everything the same, or is that your assessment after the fact? There could be more image data out-of-frame, among other things. If that modest growth is a major concern, try exporting the file to IDML, then reopening to effectively "rebuild" it without retaining any waste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read this differently. The OP is, IMO, referring to the exported PDFs from two similar documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps, but the only true specificity was here:

When I looked at the original inDesign file, it was 4MB, but the copy is now 6.3MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And then there's this:

"But now the PDF that I exported from that copy is two times heavier than the original PDF. "

In any event, I think we can agree there's no problem to solve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are concerned about absolutely nothing. There is absolutely no way to control the size of the exported PDF from one document to another. Nothing in your post sets off any alarm bells.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can play with pdf export settings and find image compress settings in it

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines