• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

weird font name

Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some documents created with InDesign2014.
I use the document.Fonts.Item(i) property to get the font name.
In InDesign2014, I can get the correct font name.
But, when I open the documents with InDesign2021,
the font name becomes weird.

For example
In InDesign2014, the font name is XXXRegular.
In InDesign2021, the font name becomes XXXRegularRegular.

There are multiple fonts that have this phenomenon, not just one.
I have exported the 2014 documents to idml, and open the idml with 2021,
but the phenomenon did not change.

why the font name changed?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @erieru103 ,

how is the font installed?

Does your InDesign 2014 document comes with a Document fonts folder (and your InDesign 2021 document not) ?

Check Type > Find/Change Font

Select the one that behaves weird and hit the More Info button to see all details.

Especially the Path property.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These might help diagnose the problem :

(1) What operating system are you running? (2) Make a screen capture of the Find/Change Font dialog box with the setup that Uwe suggested (problematic font selected, More Info open) so we can see all the details about the font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font info is the following.
My OS is windows10.

The weird fonts are not installed in my PC.
Is this affecting this issue?

1.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @erieru103 ,

check if there is a Document fonts folder present in the document you see the font and where it is not missing.

Also check in InDesign 2014 if the font is present in the Fonts folder of the InDesign Application folder.

Show a screenshot of the Find/replace font of the document where the font is present. The Path entry should give you  hint where it is installed.

Then install it either in your system or with InDesign 2021's Fonts folder in the Application folder. Or create a Document fonts folder with the font file in the same folder where the document is positioned. Save the document with InDesign 2021 and restart InDesign to give it a chance to detect the font file.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no Document fonts folder in the InDesign document folder.
And no font is set in the Fonts folder of the InDesign2014 and 2015 Application folder.

I have installed the fonts in my PC.
The font info is the following.
Because I found that all the weird font are not installed fonts in my PC,
so I thought that if I installed them, then the problem would be fixed, but it isn't be fixed.

2.JPG

In InDesign2014, the font info is the following.

1.JPG

The font in InDesign2014 and 2015 are installed in different locations, is that a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @erieru103 ,

uninstall the font from your personal user directory and install it again for all users.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Laubender

I have uninstalled the font through control panel and installed it again for all user, but the phenomenon does not change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @erieru103 ,

well, then you have two options:

[1] Create a folder that is named Document fonts in the folder where your InDesign document is positioned. Put in the needed font files there. After a restart of InDesign the font should be available for the document that is in the parent folder of the Document fonts folder.

[2] Put the font in the Fonts folder of the InDesign Application folder.

Restart InDesign to make it available for all documents you open and create with that version of InDesign.

You may need Admin rights on your machine for this.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Laubender

I tried [1] and [2] you advised, but the problem still not resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, erieru103,

the unicode font is made by Fontographer 4.1 and so very old (as seen in the font information).

What about the problematic fonts?

What font-format are the problematic fonts?

PostScript Type 1?

If yes then you maybe run into trouble because of that, for more information see PostScript Type 1 fonts end of support .

Regards

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Font format is TrueType.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the internal naming of the fonts can be an issue.

But without having a look at the problematic fonts itself this can't be checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This won't solve the problem but might help investigating the cause. The script outputs all variety of naming schemes app fonts use. Free download and editable.

https://www.marspremedia.com/software/indesign/get-font-names

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using the script to get font names and the figure below is the result.

It looks like there is no problem with the font name.

This means that I cannot get the correct font name with VBA.

Could this be an InDesign script bug?

1.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it is not clear which font information is used to generate this list it is not clear if there is a possible problem with the font naming.

To be clear: In a font there are

Family name, Style name, Full name, PostScript name, Style group, Master name, Weight class, Width class, Slope class

They all must be correct and match to get a working font.

Part of them is used to generate the font name (menu name and sorting order) that is shown in the menu of the OS and in the software you are using.

Most software make use of the OS supplied font information BUT Adobe uses its own.

That is why only a look at the font with a specified software (font editor) itself can clarify if there is a problem.

If it is possible to get the font(s) I can have a look at this.

In case contact me directly.

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I can't provide the font.

The figure below is the result when the font is obtained using Fonts property of InDesign.Document and  InDesign.Application. I can get correct font name from Fonts property of InDesign.Application.

It's strange that the font name is different.

1.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, we see that InDesign has a problem with the naming of this font (what we already knew).

The point is: Is this a font related problem (internal fontnaming) or is this an InDesign related problem.

That can only be answered by having a look at the font itself or at least by getting the needed unaltered naming information from the font (but this needs also a special tool like at least the "Font. Properties Add-On" by Microsoft).

For me at this point we reached the end of the road of helping via forum, as long as no one gets a new idea about the problem and solution.

Sorry.

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a lot of advice about this topic from here and they were very helpful for me.

Thank you very much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @erieru103, I'm seeing the exact same weirdness with font double-style-names. See my answer here. Not sure if it will help.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@erieru103 are you on MacOS? I'm trying to narrow down the scope of this bug. Others I've spoken to running Windows don't see it. - Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Mark.

Thanks for your answering.
I haven't been able to try your code yet, but I think I can get the correct font name using your code.

I have a question, that is Font.name = Font.fontFamily + tab + Font.fontStyleName?
Looking at the font name, it looks like this.

I use Windows10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines