• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird kerning change between me and sub editor's machines

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I do a quarterly magazine for a client. I have an issue whereby seemingly indesign is inserting a -200 kerning setting to the space before an en-dash. What happens is I set the copy, using a para style, and the kerning in the style is set to the default Metrics. The spacing is absolutely fine. I save the document and send it to the sub editor. When she opens it there is suddenly a -200 kerning applied to the space before an en-dash. It only applies to spaces before en-dashes and nowehere else. This occurs when she opens the doc, without making any amends or pasting anything new in that could carry through. We are both on the same latest version 17.0 and both have the exact same font set supplied by the same single source. This didn't used to happen in the previous issue of the magazine, it's only started happening now. The only thing that's changed is we introduced a GREP style to help manage runts, but I don't see why this would result in such an odd kerning issue.
I have added two screengrabs, the first taken by me just before saving, the second taken by her just after opening the same file.
Anyone any idea why this is happening?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you temporarily remove the GREP style?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing at my end, looks the same, but waiting to hear back if different at her end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could happen if there is a default GREP style setting a -200 kerning applied to the space before an en-dash on the sub editor machine. It sounds weird, but did you check this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good thought, seems unlikely as I don't think they know about GREPs but worth a try. Having said that, we all work remotely and I'm having a hard enough time getting them to check if they have otf or ttf versions of the fonts installed so this should be fun...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marco,

are you both on different systems?
You on Windows perhaps and she is on Mac OS ?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on mac, she's on PC, but that shouldn't make a difference should it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, who knows?

Maybe there is a bug with the PC version of InDesign 2022 ?

Do you see any differences in the InDesign version before?

InDesign 2021 version 16.4.0.55 ?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had no issues for the last issue but that was about 3 months ago so I'm not totally sure what version we would have been on then. This started happening with this issue so with whatever version of Indd was current about 5-6 weeks ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 to 6 weeks ago?

InDesign 2021 version 16.4.

I would continue with exactly that version before this all is sorted.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That would be sensible, I agree, but unfortunately also impractical as we have worked on every page since then and it would mean resaving every feature back to idml and reinstalling 16.4 on all machines and we only have a few days left. I'd worry about version control too. If I can't figure out the problem for this issue I will be doing a find for 'space endash space' and fixing them manually at my final art check where I'm running print ready pdfs. I can then have a couple of months after that to figure it all out properly in time for the spring issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens is I set the copy, using a para style

Is the Paragraph Style you are creating based on [No Paragraph Style] or [Basic Paragraph]?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on No Para

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines