Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird paragraph numbering when using ^H

Participant ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

One of my colleague has to deal with a weird situation when working with numbering paragraphs and I didn't find any "clean" way to solve the problem. I anyone could bring some light into this, that'll be really cool.

The issue:

Using the parameter ^H when setting things up in the Dialog box "Bullets and Numbering" can be handy. But the formatting of the number is not consistent in our Document. (see picture below)

Basically, we get Table III.1

A mix of Roman number and regular one.

The "III" is brought by the parameter ^H

Looking for the answer:

There is no parameter neither in paraphStyles nor CaracStyles that can turn "III" into "3". We've changed both and nothing new happens.

The only thing that works is creating a blank document (fresh settings) and Move the pages into it. Then, the formatting turns into the desired one, meaning Table 3.1 (and not Table III.1 anymore)

That means to me that the issue comes from the ID settings (each document has its own. ID preferences Do change from one document to another). The problem is I didn't find anything to tick/ untick/ change in order to get back to the desired formatting. Like it's hidden somewhere else.

Any idea guys ?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

If the goal here is to change the chapter number from III to 3, the place you do that is in the Numbering and Section Options in the pages panel, but that is going to affect how chapter numbers appear throughout the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the goal here is to change the chapter number from III to 3, the place you do that is in the Numbering and Section Options in the pages panel, but that is going to affect how chapter numbers appear throughout the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot !
Despite some warnings, changing the setting from the menu did solve the problem.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines