• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird Place Issue Where One Click Only Inserts a Thumbnail

Contributor ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: I think I figured this one out. The template that I've been using for this project was huge and I didn't notice that it was twice the size that it needed to be. This caused the placed files to be too small (half the size of the template) so I think InD was confused with what to do with them so it only created a tiny thumbnail. I think the template that I downloaded must have been created at 600 PPI. Not sure. Anyhow, leaving this here in case it helps anyone else. 

I'm having an issue that recently cropped up. When I'm in InDesign with my document open and I go to File/Place, select my image/InDD File/whatever other file, and I click once, it is only inserting a tiny thumbnail. It is forcing me to drag a box every time, which is annoying. This wasn't doing this last week, but I don't think I've changed any settings. Normally one click after choosing place and then choosing my file inserts it at the size of the file. 

I've updated InD. I've restarted my computer. Is this a setting somewhere? Google isn't helping me on this one.  

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Reset InDesign Preferences and Other Troubleshooting And see if resetting the prefs cures it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I think I figured out the issue and posted an update. Appreciate your thoughts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the template that I downloaded must have been created at 600 PPI.

An InDesign file itself has no resolution. Resolution apply to placed images in an InDesign file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The template was a PNG, which I can't open directly with InDesign, so I just created the InDesign file at the same resolution as the template, not thinking about the pixel->inch numbers. The other file I was trying to place on top of the PNG was in inches. Anyhow, it was partly a weird glitch in InDesin, and partly my rush to get the job done, and partly my newness to InDesign which I don't use nearly as much as Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines