• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What causes damaged InDesign Files (Error code: 5)?

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past month our designers have had two indesign files go corrupt. Indesign doesn't give any errors while saving the document, but the next time the file is opened the error message 'Cannot open "FileName.indd". The file "FileName.indd" is damaged and cannot be recovered (Error code: 5).'

We don't need to recover these particular files but I would like to know how to prevent it!

Here's our enviornment:

• 27" iMac late 2013
  • OS X Mavericks 10.9.1
  • InDesign CC - 9.1
  • File server is Windows 2008 R2 - files are opened and edited directly on the server through OS X's "connect to server" SMB share.
  • Damaged documents have not been massive - both under 10MB.

Are damaged files a frequent problem that you have experienced? Or do we just have really bad luck?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Hi,

Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and I will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

Regards,

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and I will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

Regards,

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any progress on this issue?  I cannot recover my file at all.... I did regular saves throughout its creation and didn't get an error code 5 until, of course, the last save which apparently lost all of my hard work.  Help would be appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it’s corrupt, it’s corrupt.

I can’t help with this but I can give you some advice to avoid ever having it happen again: http://boblevine.us/why-i-always-save-files-in-dropbox-and-why-you-should-too/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very sad face over here….and coffee officially brewing for a long night of rebuilding!!  I was pretty sure that was the response I was going to get.  I appreciate your quick response.

Stay Creative!  JR

[email signature removed by moderator]

All Things Creative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2016 Sep 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There are multiple factors both internal and external to InDesign application that can lead to document corruption. However, I can take a look and see if the file can be repaired. Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and I will take a look at the document.

Regards,

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this offer still valid? We're having corruption issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please send the document to the above email id

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How quickly do you respond? Sent 3 files last night and wondering if I should just rebuild for a deadline...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't expect immediate responses from the Adobe staff. You'll likely have to rebuild for your deadline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign doesn't give any errors while saving the document, but the next time the file is opened the error message 'Cannot open "FileName.indd". The file "FileName.indd" is damaged and cannot be recovered (Error code: 5).'

When i save the file to out sever, its damaged always,

but when i save to my external hard disc there is no issue

any proper solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could I send you my file to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my situation I had the same thing happen to me I don't think this is the fix for everybody however when I got that error code I then tried to copy the files to my desktop. Then realized that my E-drive hadn't been unlocked and once I unlocked it and tried re-opening the files the corruption went away...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If InDesign allowed Version saves this wouldn't be as much a huge problem as it seems to be. Competing software allows the last 10 (or more) saved versions to be stored as fully saved version of the document. This has saved countless hours of frustration by simply loading the last saved version, resulting in a loss of only 10-15 minutes of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work in a Dropbox or OneDrive folder and you’ll have versioning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem - this only started happening after installing the InDesign updates. It happens often (at least a couple times per week). Only my files aren't actually corrupt. "Error: Code 4 - File corrupt" messages pop up when I either try to save an open file or open an existing file -  but if I restart InDesign and reopen the file, it's fine. So it seems to be a problem with the software, not the way the files were created. Hope this problem gets fixed soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a 2-day old computer with a brand-new CC subscription. I've got an InDesign document that I saved normally, with no error messages last night. After experiencing some glitches with InDesign this morning, I saved my file, restarted and am getting "Error: code 5" with no idea how to salvage the files. Adobe. What is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 28, 2018 Jun 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are very sorry that you ran into this issue. As mentioned above, please share the files at corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com

We will try our best to recover them.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experienced same problem yesterday. Brand new 2018 MacBook Pro and the most updated indesign CC.

May have been a server disconnect as when I went to save, wheel of death. Restart computer, error 5 corrupt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gina,

That could be a possibility, would request you to please share your files on the above-mentioned email address and we will try our best to recover it.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An easy way to minimize file corruption/damage is to either:

1. Save it as a new copy:  File / Save As and give it a new name. This rewrites the file's code and can often prevent those tiny little "glitches" that can creep into a file.
  2. Overwrite the existing file: File / Save As and overwrite the existing file. Again, rewrites the file's code.

We do this at the end of every day when we're packing up for the evening, or whenever we're ending work on a file during the day. Works like a charm; we rarely have a damaged file to deal with.

FYI, the plain File / Save doesn't give you a clean file. It just tacks stuff on to the end of the code.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bevi,

Thanks for sharing this workflow.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have a corrupted file with the same error code. It happened while a computer crash and I have no copy of it. If it's possible can I also send you my file? Maybe there is still a chance to repair it...

Thanks in advance

Olga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think problem not our Indesign file, problem from linked photoshop file, if you check the photoshop link... 99% one of photoshop link is damaged, that links are making problem,

"Could not open “2017-11-26-2144-ACWA_A7R__DSC0273.psd” because it is not a valid Photoshop document."

what is the way to fixing photoshop link? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Open the PhotoShop image in PhotoShop and resave it to a new name.

Then place it again.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines