• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I set bleed, is it within the page size, or added to the page size?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I set my page size to be 6.8 x 10.  I set my bleed to be .125 on all sides.  Does this mean that the .125 area is deducted from my page size or that the .125 area is added to the outside borders of the page?  Thank you.

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bleed is outside the page area. If you print your 6.8 x 10 page on a larger sheet of paper the bleed will show anything that extends off the page. Your output will be 7.05 x 10.25.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hey thank you.  I wasn't sure at all about this and it wasn't very intuitive (to me anyway).  Appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bleed (and slug) is added to the page size. The idea is to give the printer extra print area that will be trimmed off to leave printing right to the edge of the sheet or page.

(Slug is space added to include print instructions, parameters, agency information or the like to one edge of the layout. It's not as commonly used as it once was.)

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines