• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When printed, some letters are bolded and some are bolded & italicized (not like this in PDF)

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I recently had a report printed commercially, and throughout the printed report certain letters in the headers are bolded (e.g., b, x, v, f) and some are even bolded and italicized (e.g., s). The PDF I sent does not have these bolded/italicized letters. I laidout the document in InDesign and the headers all use the same paragraph style font with no character styles appled (Font: Acumin Light).

The document contains text and images.

I've tried googling this and can't find anyone who had this issue happening with specific letters.

Thanks

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

I can only echo Bob's question: what was the printer's explanation? As he notes, there have been some ID glitches like this in recent releases, but it sounds very much like his RIP is mismapping fonts. Just possibly, not subsetting any fonts in your PDF might help, but the consistency of the error across common letters — I'd look at the RIP/output settings before diving too deep at everything up to creating the PDF.

Did you export to a specific PDF standard, as well? I'm wobbly on the differen

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like a font mismatch or corrupt font. Especially on a Mac, you can have multiple copies of a font file and there can be problems if they aren't all identical.

It also could be a faulty font (bad mapping, not just corrupted.)

What platform, what OS and what font?

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi James,

When I print the PDF at my office (from a PC that wasn't used for the layout itself), the letters all print normally, but the commercially printed reports have the issue.

I laid it out on a MacBook Pro (macOS Ventura 13.5.2), InDesign 2023.

The font is Acumin and it looks like the b, f, x, and v are bold/black when they are supposed to be regular in the headers, and the s is bold and italic instead of medium. Also, it looks like in the the semibold version of the text has some letters that look regular (e.g., letter i). The Light font (used for body text and some headers) printed normally. All fonts look totally normal in the PDF document and when printed at my office.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only echo Bob's question: what was the printer's explanation? As he notes, there have been some ID glitches like this in recent releases, but it sounds very much like his RIP is mismapping fonts. Just possibly, not subsetting any fonts in your PDF might help, but the consistency of the error across common letters — I'd look at the RIP/output settings before diving too deep at everything up to creating the PDF.

Did you export to a specific PDF standard, as well? I'm wobbly on the differences but I know it can make a considerable difference for some end-use/output flows.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2024 Feb 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign created this PDF? We need the exact build. Can you post the PDF or screenshots?

This sounds similar to an issue fixed with 19.2 but I can't be sure.

Most importantly, what did the printer say about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Danielle_MCS , Are you using Acumin Pro or the variable version—Acumin Variable Concept?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines