• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which plan and pricing InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to InDesign. I am writing a book with stories, recipes, photos and illustrations. 
I am so lucky that I have been given 100 books to print. 
The printing company asks me to deliver a PDF file with CMYK colours. 
I started in Pages with Mac but soon realised that it won't work. 
Which plan do you recommend would work for me as an individual?

My book needs to be finished soon and hopefully after I sold the 100 books I will sell a lot more. 

I appreciate your response. 

With kind regards, Carolina. 

TOPICS
Feature request , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Carolina22206372nl54,

The plan are generally monthly plans and yearly plans paid monthly. The monthly plan would be higher priced and you can decide each month if you want to continue using the app and if you don't you can cancel without any cancellation fees. With yearly paid monthly you will incur a cancellation fee if you cancel before the year end. Another point to consider is whether you would need any other app apart from InDesign, if so then subscribing to the all apps plan would be a better option as subscribing to multiple individual apps would be quite costly.

You can have a look at the different pricing and options at the links below

All apps plan

Just InDesign plan

Do pay attention to the cancellation information mentioned under each option before making any decision.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manama,

Thank you very much for your response. 
I am going to start a free trial first as I am only a beginner and my book will be simple. Recipes, photos, stories and illustrations. All my own. I hope that I will have enough with InDesign only. 

With kind regards, Carolina. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry. I meant Manan. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After subscribing to InDesign you will need to learn how to use it. InDesign is a professional application with a steep learning curve. Also check the system specs of your computer that it has sufficient RAM (min 16GB) and plenty of spare hard disk capacity and a recent OS.

When you set up your document in InDesign make sure you allow for things like bleed,

When you export your PDF from InDesign you need to ask your printer whether they want single pages, crop marks and tick Use Document Bleed Settings and so on.

Also, keep an eye on the Effective PPI of your images, which should be around 300PPI.

LinkedIn Learning have useful online video tutorials and you can get 30-days free access.

You can also ask further questions in this friendly forum, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your response. I just checked my RAM which is 8GB. Then it won't work.

Is there another program in Adobe I can use to have my own book printed?

My printing company asks for CMYK colours and to save it as PDF/x-1a or PDF/x-4.

I appreciate your response.

With kind regards,

Carolina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Carolina22206372nl54:

@Carolina22206372nl54 wrote:

Is there another program in Adobe I can use to have my own book printed?

Adobe has two page layout applications: InDesign and FrameMaker.

Most of the world uses InDesign for page layout, but Technical Writers documenting complex products (think: aircraft and telecommunications equipment) use FrameMaker. Both applications can be used to create books with text and images like yours but they approach the layout very differently. Both have a steep learning curve and neither is easy to teach yourself quickly. I would rank InDesign as easier to learn than FrameMaker because it is more flexible. You will not learn and/or create your book within the free trial period: 7 days for InDesign and 30 days for FrameMaker.

Both will require a substantial time investment to get up and running, prior to beginning to lay out your book.

I use both every day and while either could work, I would steer you towards InDesign if you could upgrade your RAM and/or the computer you will use for layout. I think you will be happier in the long run with InDesign. Alternatively, consider hiring someone to handle the layout for you.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Barb,

Thank you for your response.

I will take it into consideration.

Do you think 8GB RAM will do the trick?

With kind regards,

Carolina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>Do you think 8GB RAM will do the trick?

I would go with at least 16--more if possible. 

You need to look up how much RAM your computer is capable of  holding. (And if it can even be upgraded after the fact.)

BTW, FrameMaker is a Windows-only program. There are ways to work it on a Mac, but I've been reading on problems with the new M1 Mac chip.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Carolina22206372nl54:

Yes, FrameMaker will meet the RAM and PDF output requirements (see the links in my first response). I just worry that the learning curve is too steep and you will end up frustrated before you complete the project. 

That's why I suggested upgrading your computer (or rent/borrow an upgraded computer) and sticking with InDesign. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice catch, Dave. I missed the Mac note. 

@Carolina22206372nl54 I run FrameMaker on my Mac, but it takes another software application to make it work. For so many reasons, stick with InDesign. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines