• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White box showing up behind .ai file in InDesign. There should not be a white box. It should be transparent.

Explorer ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a vector logo that I downloaded from Brands of the World. Dropped it into InDesign on top of an image and there is a white box. So I opened it in Illustrator and made sure there was no white background on the image. I couldn't see one, so I copied the logo and dropped it into a new AI file to make sure there weren't any background layers or something from the original. Saved that and dropped into InDesign. Same deal. So I went back into AI and put a box behind the logo and colored it to make sure there was nothing weird going on with the logo. Sure enough, it's transparent. But I can't get it to be transparent in InDesign. And yes, I do have Display Performance set to High Quality Display. Any ideas why it would show transparent in AI and not in ID? Both programs are up to date CC.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Place the file and make sure to activate the import options: there you can turn on  the Tranparent background option.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but I am asking if there is a default setting, so that this will be the same for every ai, pdf, etc image that is placed in IND and I don't need to use import options everytime...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is "no" if you think of a preference in the Preferences dialogs.

AI and PDF share the same import dialog. Let's see, there are PNG import options, that are a bit different, but I think, that's it. EPS, JPEG, TIFF or PSD have no option in that direction…

And it is also "yes", because checking this settings once in the Import Options defines it as default value.

( Until you have to trash InDesign preferences folder and files. )

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other reason the the .ai file may appear with a white background in InDesign is if its creator failed to check the Create PDF Compatible File in the Illustrator Options Save dialog, shown here.

Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 10.12.29 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines