• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

White spaces before and after punctuation marks-Is there a GREP?

Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello my dear experts...
I was thinking of a viable solution for the wrong spaces before or after the punctuation points.
Is there an efficient way to use grep to remove the extra white space before the punctuation, and add the missing white space after the punctuation mark (except for the punctuation mark before the brackets)?
Sometimes messy drafts come to you and you need to fix these errors before moving on to work on them, and this has been repeated with me recently.
Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us what Adobe application you are using so that this can be moved to the proper forum for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, thank you very much. I was in a hurry and did not notice where I wrote. Thank you for moving the problem to its own section. Yes, I use InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Farid Ely 

This sounds like InDesign? If it is, we can move your post from Using the Community to InDesign for you.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, thank you very much. I was in a hurry and did not notice where I wrote. Thank you for moving the problem to its own section. Yes, I use InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a word processor (MS Word) to check spelling, grammar & punctuation before I export documents to other apps.  That gets rid of  99% of problems.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, thank you, but with my modest experience in Word, I think that this requires me to follow the correction process line by line. That's why I prefer InDesign because it usually saves time, especially through the Grep commands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Farid Ely 

GREP will do this. I am not in my office now, but you can put each part into parenthesis to make them a group in the Search bar, then Paste only the groups you want.

Sorry, I can't remember the exact syntax, but if, for example, the text is "1. Heading" ,  you might search for (any number repeated)(.)(text) and replace with group 1, followed by Return, followed by group 3. It's faster than Word, and you can save your search.

Someone with give you the exact GREP code, or I can look at InDesign tomorrow and give you a better answer.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much Jane!  yes I will wait for more details from you. I am in no hurry; I was just asking to get information in case I face the same problem again.<3 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines