• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are my drop cap colors different in epub export?

Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please kindly compare the following screenshots. I can't figure out why my drop caps are not exporting to the same color. 

In Indesign:

GlobalGrowth22472567e5o6_0-1641130545280.png

Epub export:

GlobalGrowth22472567e5o6_1-1641130588019.png

TOPICS
EPUB , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

The dropcap has a different colour than the text, so that is defined in its own character style (not paragraph style), have a look there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Hi @Global Growth22472567e5o6, this could be a CMYK to RGB issue. Also, if you are exporting to a reflowable ePUB, be careful when selecting text colors. I wanted to jazz up my ePubs using some text color. However, after researching this, I realized that it's best to stick with black text so the reader can decide on colors. But it's nice to have some color accents, as with your drop caps.

More here: Text Guidelines - Reflowable (amazon.com)

"Body text should not have an imposed font color th

Votes

Translate

Translate

I wouldn't be too precious about fonts, as the user can change them in Reflowable ePubs. And make sure you specify alterternative basics (eg San Serif).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn’t seem like a color management problem. Is there any transparency or blending mode effect applied to the drop cap?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Actually, I copied the paperback file to create the ebook file and made no changes to anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In which model is the colour defined? CMYK, RGB, etc? Or is it maybe even a Spot (Pantone) colour?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

t appears from the Paragraph Styles character color settings that it is CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dropcap has a different colour than the text, so that is defined in its own character style (not paragraph style), have a look there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just highlighted the drop cap and applied the CMYK color to each drop cap manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Global Growth22472567e5o6, this could be a CMYK to RGB issue. Also, if you are exporting to a reflowable ePUB, be careful when selecting text colors. I wanted to jazz up my ePubs using some text color. However, after researching this, I realized that it's best to stick with black text so the reader can decide on colors. But it's nice to have some color accents, as with your drop caps.

More here: Text Guidelines - Reflowable (amazon.com)

"Body text should not have an imposed font color throughout the book. If you prefer to use imposed font color in some sections of your book, do not use too light or too dark a color. Light colors will not display with enough contrast on devices set to white backgrounds or on E-reader devices. Dark colors will not display well on devices set to black backgrounds. See the W3C recommendation for maintaining a readable contrast ratio between text and background colors. For grays, use colors within the hex value range of #666 to #999."

JainLemos_0-1641141271235.png

To determine if a color falls within this range, use a tool to convert your color to RGB values. Enter the resulting three numbers into the following formula: Y = (0.2126 * R) + (0.7152 * G) + (0.0722 * B). If the value of Y falls within a range of 102 and 153, this color will create a good customer experience across Kindle devices and applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow! What wonderful advise! Now I think I need to go back to the drawing board. I suspected there could be an issue with the color as I reviewed the epub.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome! I'm glad this helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The more I think about this, I'm starting to wonder if it is related to the last export warning I keep getting: 

Custom Layout settings in Object Export Options have not been honored for group children, button states and inline objects. While I agree after reading your posts that I'll do best just sticking to black, I also want the Oswald font that I've specified...just don't know how to make that change in a way that it will export properly..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't be too precious about fonts, as the user can change them in Reflowable ePubs. And make sure you specify alterternative basics (eg San Serif).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent advise. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines