• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are my InDesign files are saving as 'Read-Only'?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create a file and save it for the first time, it saves as 'Read-Only'. So, once I save it, that's it! I can't save it again or even make a PDF file. I've checked the permissions of the file, the folder, etc. and they're all 'Read and Write'.  I'm paralyzed because of this, can anyone help?!?!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Hi @Colleen Egan ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please try the steps shared below:

1. First go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Accessibility -> Unlock in lower left -> Add desired Adobe Softwares -> Make sure they are checked
  2. Next, scroll in the left column to "Full Disk Access" -> Add desired Adobe Software -> Make sure they are checked
  3. Lock in the lower left
  4. If open, software will need to be quit and restarted for changes to take effect.

If this doesn't help,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS or Windows? What if you change the destination of the file? Does that make any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac, running OS 12.5. It doesn't seem to make a difference if I change the destination.  Thank you for trying to help me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We're also seeing this problem, however our users are running Windows 10 in a Citrix Environment, they have access to edit the file.  It is possible for them to 'File / Open' choose the file and 'Copy' rather than 'Normal' or 'Original', this gives them a new file which they can save as, and then reopen as normal.  They can then save on this file for a while, but if we close Adobe InDesign down and then reopen, the new file opens as Read-only.  

We're also seeing lots of files that are being opened [Converted] due to 2023 release being installed.  We understand these need to be opened and saved again so both the original and the converted file exist, but we don't understand why various files are opening as [read-only]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Colleen Egan ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please try the steps shared below:

1. First go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Accessibility -> Unlock in lower left -> Add desired Adobe Softwares -> Make sure they are checked
  2. Next, scroll in the left column to "Full Disk Access" -> Add desired Adobe Software -> Make sure they are checked
  3. Lock in the lower left
  4. If open, software will need to be quit and restarted for changes to take effect.

If this doesn't help, please share more details like the version of InDesign & the OS. Are you saving the file locally or on any network folder synched locally?

Regards

Rishabh 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to 'Accessibility' and it wasn't clear to me how to add the desired software. There was also no column with 'full disk access'. I'm on a Mac, running OS 12.5. Any other suggestions?  Thank you for trying to help me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay....disregard my last response, I was in the wrong window (It's been a long day!). I did everything you advised and it seemed to work so far, fingers crossed! Not sure how this problem started in the first place, any idea?
Thank you for your help!! Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Rishabh!!! That did the trick for me, with a few things that were just listed a little differently than on my Mac, but at least you got me where I needed to be to figure it out, and it worked!!!

I greatly appreciate your time to answer with full details so even I could do it and be able to complete my project!

Diana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines