• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do I get SharedContent plugin error?

Engaged ,
Jun 13, 2011 Jun 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My indd document was created in iD CS5.5. On opening in iD CS5, there is a popup which says that SharedContent plugin was used in the creation of the file. The popup then provides the option to proceed anyway. Will I be safe doing that, or is there a workflow for installing the plugin in CS5?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 13, 2011 Jun 13, 2011

You cannot open an InDesign CS5.5 file directly in InDesign CS5. You need to choose File > Export > IDML and open the IDML file in InDesign CS4 or CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 321 Replies 321
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help getting this into a CS5 file?  I'm using InDesign CS5, version 7.0.

Thanks!
Dropbox - Product Catalog.indd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this was a HUGE help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 16, 2016 Aug 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you guys are tired of people asking, but I'm hoping you'd be willing to convert mine too?  And is there a way to visually tell a cs5.5 from cs5 in the title or in the description of the item?  For "kind" my file says InDesign CS5 Document so I thought it was created in the same version but after reading this thread I guess not.  I have CS5.  Thank you!

Dropbox - 1ChayaRecetarioInDesign.indd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look for a download link in your Adobe inbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, Peter! 

When I downloaded the idml file it gave me a message saying that none of my links were available and so the document is blank of the images (as well as the font that was used).  Is that something I did wrong or can I fix that?  I don't have access to all of those images as this was created for our ngo by a volunteer that is no longer with us.  Any suggestions are appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are going to need the links (you can substitute fonts for others that you do have using Find Font, if necessary). The IDML file strips out the image previews, and there's nothing that can be done about that except relink. Did you receive a package folder with this file that also has a Links folder? If so, put the .indd file I sent you int that folder and it should find the links when you open it.

If you don't have the links, next best bet would be if you have a PDF from which you could extract all the images in Acrobat Pro, but figuring out which is which will take some time for relinking. You'll need to rely on the PDF for visual reference, and you may well need to drag the images from Bridge and drop them onto the correct frames to easily get things right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting a similar error "missing plugins and plugins needs to be updated". The file was created in a higher version and then saved down to CS4. Unfortunately, I cannot open the file. Can you help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you think the file you are trying to open was saved down? Is it a .idml file? Your OS is going to tell you that any file newer than the newest version installed was saved in the version you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, same to you...what is your venmo? Can I buy you a coffee? What you're doing for everyone is so incredibly generous! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a similar issue. I am using CS5, so the designer who created the file resent it as an IDML file. I still can't open and am getting the message: "Cannot open the file 'BG 2016 booklet.idml'. Adobe InDesign may not support the format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application." Any thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typical of someone just changing the file extension from INDD to IDML. Make sure the file was actually exported/saved as IDML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked with him. That wasnt it. Thank you Bob.

Best,

Jilian Ryan

[Private info removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have it resent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob...what is your venmo? Can I buy you a coffee? What you're doing for everyone is so incredibly generous! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A designer is transferring a project to me. He is in CS5.5 and I am work in CS5. He tried to use FILE - EXPORT - IDML instruction, but for some reason he cannot select "export." Suggestions? I really need this file. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does “cannot select export” mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He has also tried "save as" and the only two options for file type are document and template. He is on a MAC, I'm a PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: for some reason, now it is not greyed out and he was able to export the file. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only time I have ever seen Export greyed out is if there are no documents open in InDesign. 

Does you other designer know that he has to have the document open in order to export from it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am also a CS5 user and have the same problem.  If anyone is willing to convert these to CS5 I'd really appreciate it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u44fhxf9bv8sktz/AdobeStock_231946262.indt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zaxl60c29tdw219/AdobeStock_280452579.indt?dl=0

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines