• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do I have to keep re-installing InDesign?

Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Monterey 12.5.1, InDesign quits on launch even after a restart. The only solution I can find is to uninstall ID and re intsall it, surely this can't be right. My 2020 iMac has 80Gb memory, and two external SSDs. I've tried uplugging, restarting and re connecting the drives and restarting - no effect.

After years on my Mac Pro on El Capitan and CS6, which was so stable, I feel like I've gone gone back to OS 7.1

I just wonder if Adobe is creating bloatware by trying to continually add 'refinements' and functions to their apps, sometimes just for the sake of it and to be seen to be active.

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike, I will do that. I may not report back for about 2-3 weeks after I've tested things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign are you using? Did you recently upgrade it? If so did you use the option to import previous settings and preferences? If that was the case then that could what is causing the problem. Using that option can lead to a lot of issues. Try trashing your preferences. This will reset the program to its defaults and hopefully stop the problem.

To do so on a Mac:

The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the folder called “Adobe InDesign” and the file called “com.adobe.InDesign.plist” and delete both that folder and that file. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files in this manner is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bill. I will try that and Mike's advice too. ID version is 17.4 (latest I believe). So is this recommended everytime an update is released?

Thank you both gents. I'll report back after a few weeks once tested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: It seems with Monterey 12.5.1 Bill, that the file “com.adobe.InDesign.plist” sits in the Preference not in the folder called Adobe InDesign. Anyway time for a test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're process is a little bit incorrect.

For issues like this you have two very good options

Try resetting your preferences:
The easiest way to reset everything is to delete the InDesign preferences: as soon as InDesign starts to boot hold down Shift, Alt, Ctrl (and Apple/Cmd if working on a Macintosh). A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

---

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines