• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why does adobe say indesign cs5 doesn't work on windows 10 when it does?

New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a few years ago my box for this was in storage, and my link was in my products page. adobe sent me a link.

now the link is not on the page. there are articles that says it is compatible and is not compatible with windows 10. i used it since 2016 with windows 10, but my old computer's battery and adapter don't work anymore, so i purchased a new one. i need to reinstall it. support on the website would not answer if i could install it, while twitter support said i can download it. what's the deal? Also, how can i find out how to register products? they sent me a product in place of an old one i have and it wouldn't register...... I want to install the product i purchased since i cannot afford a subscription-based product at this time.

I know that if a program runs completely on windows 10 it is compatible. Support even helped me with a process with the last computer. The software never crashed. That means it is compatible.

TOPICS
Activation billing and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Adobe to say an app is compatible with an OS means they feel confident that all features work and they support it if there are any bugs. Maybe the software mostly works, but if even one part is broken Adobe can't say it's compatible because they'll get complaints. They are no longer supporting CS5 so they woulnd't fix anything that's broken. But if you can install CS5 and it works, then you can use it. I've seen reports that it does work, so it’s worth trying. Here are instructions for Download and install Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 or 5

Back then many people had physical discs, but in those instructions it says you may be able to download it from your account (assuming you registered it).

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is complicated with new computer systems and companies since if we have old software and hardware peripherals, it can be difficult to try to hook everything up and install things. Someone from Adobe did give me a link after I posted this. i have the disc and the serial number as well. But I think some software that i previously registered has been removed from my account. The original link for CS5 to be downloaded was removed, and certain older registered software was removed. I had adobe software that was registered that was available on the Apple App store, and it was shown as registred, and it was no longer listed as registered. I am pretty sure that in the last year, older software was listed for windows (along with software i downloaded on my iphone). Those disappeared. I will try to install old software again when i finish setting up this laptop. Thanks for the link. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WShen Adobe does not approve an OS it is because they tested it never against this OS or they know that some features, they promisse will never work correctly with that OS. It may work complete fine on the one computer with that OS but with different configurated computer it will fail.

CS5 and CS5.5 are very old versions, both had a lot of bugs and they were repaired with CS6. Therefor I would not recommend the use of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i understand what you are saying, but i have used the same software on different systems and it did not shut down. I had problems with it registering (like today one sent to me by Adobe). I think this is not because it doesn't function, as it ran fine. It is something with programming. I had Microsoft tell me office 2007 was not compatible, and it was not offering support. It disappeared to a hidden folder. I was able to find it and keep using it. But on other systems, Office 2000 did not disappear.

Maybe older Adobe software could be compatible, but discontinuing it offers something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe didn't discountinue InDesign. There are many new versions of InDesign (after CS5) that have been made compatible (and have new additional features), but those are sold as a subscription. Each version of a software gets updates for a limited time because no company can afford to support something forever with no additional income (either as upgrade fees or subscriptions). 

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 being unsupported under Windows 10 doesn't mean its 100% inoperable. As mentioned several times, it isn't a matter of whether the application runs, it's a matter of whether certain features, functions, and UI elements that rely on OS-level calls may fail and/or produce unwanted or unexpected results or effects. With millions using Adobe apps to make their living, the company has to be clear about anything that may not be 100% reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that businesses sometimes rely on products to change to stay in business. There are different ways to do this: Improving the product, support for the product, and I can't think of too many other ways at the moment. If some programming elements and hardware elements are incompatible for whatever reason, it won't work. Programming can be improved, and people can make errors, and there can be workarounds. There might be various problems. I think that I don't understand new versions being released frequently for different companies, when they seem very similar. If people purchase licenses, and they run, they should not fail to be transfered under the same account, and should not be deleted from the customer account without permission. Perhaps customers should be able to test on their systems before they are removed, and then they can be offered some upgrade or purchase options? I had deactivated Indesign CS2 on one system before I received Indesign CS5 as a gift I believe. Perhaps if it is working and not malfunctioning, it should be okay to use it. I understand that many people use it to make a living. But perhaps sometimes the software is reliable, even if it is not preferred. I know many companies want the latest software, and it is often what is offered too. I learned in school on Adobe CS2, then practiced on later versions. I do not have the resources to use the newer versions myself at this time. I hope to be able to use what i have the licenses for. i will try to contact adobe to follow up what they sent me e-mails about as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one is deleted from the user account. You cannot use it in another system as those which were tested. New computers require new programming. New functions are added. Every version is a different product You can use your license in the frame it was purchased for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah well, honestly, I don't think I get your point, but I suspect it's mutual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>>I know that if a program runs completely on windows 10 it is compatible.

Note that Win 10 has had many upgrades over the years. What ran on an old verson of 10 may not run on a newer version of 10. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is true. i have some pre-cloud software that i will be using on my latest windows 10 os. I have copied all the information from the account page in case it disappears, or in case download links disappear. I have CDs from some software, but i may need information on my account for the future.Three different programs have run. Two i just opened and closed, and one i was using. i will see what will work when i actually run them. somebody requires me to do a project soon. I have desires to do creative things as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Being lucky isn't the same as being supported. Good luck! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines