• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does InDesign re-install itself almost daily?

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm about at my wit's end.

I am preparing a book, the final week before it goes off to the publisher, and InDesign has re-installed itself nearly daily since I began, leading to numerous crashes, weekly re-installs, occasional corrupted ID files, corrupted color setting components occuring weekly, etc. Today, the daily reinstall failed and I had to hunt for a solution, DL and run the Creative Cloud installer's repair function to get things going again. Precious hours -- poof!

BTW, I only have to reinstall the Creative Cloud app once month or so -- rock solid stuff there.

Surely, the ID software is not updating/reinstalling every 24-48 hours on purpose? Is it? If it is, who thought this was a good idea? It is wreaking mayhem. Software changes should be grouped for periodic updates--something reasonable, like monthly. Nothing can be so important that updates must occur daily, ignoring the quite real stability issues.

If ID is not being constantly updated, thereby provoking the insane amount of instability I've experienced, what is the secret to obtaining stability?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Hi @Edward24615452c2yy ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. This isn't expected, so could you please check that InDesign is updated to the latest version which is 17.3 and the auto-update is tuned off for the apps on the Creative Cloud Desktop app? If it's happening on regular basis, I'd recommend doing a clean install using the Adobe Cleaner tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html 

Note: Before doing a clean install, if you have created custom

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Edward24615452c2yy ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. This isn't expected, so could you please check that InDesign is updated to the latest version which is 17.3 and the auto-update is tuned off for the apps on the Creative Cloud Desktop app? If it's happening on regular basis, I'd recommend doing a clean install using the Adobe Cleaner tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html 

Note: Before doing a clean install, if you have created custom preferences, please take a backup of the preferences file by following the steps shared here

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rishabh  - why are you recommending that "auto-update" is turned on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so sorry for the typo @Derek Cross I was meant to add "not" in the statement which I missed. I have edited my response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll take the problem outlined by @Edward24615452c2yy a step further.

I'm running, or should be 18.5. In my case, InDesign crashes on launch requiring a reinstall every single time I use it. There's not 24-48 hour delay, it simply refuses to reopen after I quit out. 

Very annoying and time consuming. My next step is to use the suggested CC Cleaner Tool and see if that resolves it. If not, I'll be back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ealanjones : If you're running InDesign 18.5 on amacOS Ventura, then it appears that many users experience the same issue (judging by the amount of similar posts on the forum).

First, update to macOS 13.5.1. It solved the issue for some users.

If it doesn't help, then users recommend to install an earlier version - preferably 18.3. You can do it from the Creative Cloud app:

leor_0-1694103802434.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ealanjones,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. As suggested by Leo.r, we have received similar reports from other users, and the issue was resolved after updating the macOS to the latest version, please check the details here. If it is still unresolved, please collect and share system logs by following the steps

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For what it's worth, I upgraded from Ventura 13.1 to 13.5.2  and the problem went away. Go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not normal behavior. Please provide the exact version of InDesign and operating system tht you are using. Also please go into your Creative Cloud Desktop app and in the update section make sure that "Enable auto-update" is not active. I have always found it best to update the program when I am ready for it. What you describe is not something that anyone should have to endure. I feel your pain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto-updating IS your choice. I can't imagine why anyone with work to do would leave it it switched on.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Не чини технику, если она работает (Russian proverb)

If some thing works - don't fix it!

For example: many people use it external plugins and scripts that not tested/prepared for new versions.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can explain why to not have it turned on. If you work in an environment with restrictive firewalls what should be a 5-10 update can turn into a 45 minutes. If you've got an update for more than 2-3 applications, your day is pretty well decided for you: You're going to be watching progress bars. 

Some corporate firewalls, like where I work, take the extra step to scan every file that comes to your computer. The bigger the update file, the longer it will take. In some cases, an update, or install, simply fails.

In those situations, notifications of updates being available are fine: You can plan for when they take place. In my case, I wait till I'm off the corporate network (at home). The updates and installs then install within the expected and reasonable amount of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines