• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why don't activated fonts transfer to an outside printer?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I activated and downloaded an Adobe font accessed through my subscription. When I packaged my InDesign files to send to the printer, the font wasn't included. Fortunately, I had only used the font in a single headline and was able to change it to outlines. What good does it do to be offered the use of fonts if they can't be transferred to an outside printer? My printer expects native files, not a PDF that would embed the font. Am I missing something?

TOPICS
Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022
  1. Anyone who has a legal version of InDesign CC has access to the fonts. Your printer should have it.
  2. Outlining any font in InDesign is not a good idea.
  3. You should never deliver open INDD files to any printer, export PDF. If a printer does not accept PDFs, get another one. A printer who does not accept PDFs should not be on the market since more than 20 Years.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Anyone who has a legal version of InDesign CC has access to the fonts. Your printer should have it.
  2. Outlining any font in InDesign is not a good idea.
  3. You should never deliver open INDD files to any printer, export PDF. If a printer does not accept PDFs, get another one. A printer who does not accept PDFs should not be on the market since more than 20 Years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're missing plenty. For starters, as Willi already pointed out, anyone with a valid subscription would be able to automatically activate that font. Secondly, I would never use a printer that didn't want a PDF. Sending a live file is a recipe for disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines