• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why has InDesign 16.1 changed my Workspace?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past, who knows how many years, I've had InDesign's workspace set in the same default way when selecting the 'Advanced Workspace'. In the latest version, 16.1 it was also the same Workspace layout. Until the other day.

It was working absolutely fine in the morning and then all of a sudden InDesign decided to change the appearance of my workspace.

The font name, style, size, leading, and type functions which were on the left of screen are now on the right! What the? Plus I've lost all the character options and spacing options for type. They're checked in the 'Customize Control Panel' so they shpuld be there.

Yes, I've done a 'Reset Advanced', I've deleted the cache, I've restarted InDesign, and it makes no difference selecting the Type Tool. Why on earth would InDesign suddenly be doing this? Have I done something?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Can you take a screenshot of what you see?

Also, on the far left of the Control panel are 2 buttons (the top is for Character, and the bottom is for Paragraph). Is the top Character button selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign 2019 Advance workspace included Styles in the Advanced workspace, InDesign 2020 and 2021 are identical but don't include Styles, though it's easy, as I'm sure you know,  to set up your own personalised Workspace.

Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 11.15.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I could certainly set up my own workspace but I'd still like to know why the workspace I was using and liked using, suddenly changed to something I dislike.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why dont you create your own desired workspace?? 

Choose workspace for example advanced, add or remove panels as you wish, dock collaps, groups panel, change the tools as 1 colmuns or 2 columns. simply specify and customize your workspace.

go to window> Workspace> New workspace 

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 3.24.34 PM.png

good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes I may end up doing just that and create my own workspace. But as I mentioned in my previous relpy above, I'd still like to now why it happened in the first place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you take a screenshot of what you see?

Also, on the far left of the Control panel are 2 buttons (the top is for Character, and the bottom is for Paragraph). Is the top Character button selected?

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you help me now - it's January 2023, and there are no buttons at the top left of the control panel.

My character attributes disappeared in version 18, and I can't get them back!!!

Frustrating

Thank you!

Vicki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Start by resetting the preferences. See Reset InDesign Preferences and Other Troubleshooting 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sir are a genius and wow do I feel like a bit of an idiot. It WAS the two buttons. I was on Paragraph and the moment I went to Character, everything was fine again. Thanks so much for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help. 😀

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines