• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is my text highlighted when the font is activated?

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is my text highlighted when the font is activated?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Hi @nerf64 :

Two thoughts:

1. Take a look at the Control panel. When in Character view (the A button ), it will list the Typeface and the Style. If either of them is shown in brackets, it means is not available. Sometimes it is one, sometimes the other. In my screenshot, both are missing. The pink highlighting on the page is meant to get your attention, but the brackets specifiy exactly what the issue is. 
    missing fonts.png
  2. You activate fonts accessed through fonts.adobe.com with your CC subscription. If you are

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Manual overrides (size, language, etc.) without a charcter stye?
  2. Using a style which is not available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I opened the document again it shows up highlighted pink and I cannot pin the font to my favorites even though it is activated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have probably installed another font from that famiy but not the style you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text highlighted in pink means you don't have the chosen font installed, so you need to reinstall it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is installation and activation the same thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clicked deactivate and now it is has been stuck saying deactivating for a while now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have your fonts installed manually on your computer or are you using Adobe Fonts which must be downloaded and activated? If you are having problems with the Adobe fonts you can try first going into the Manage Fonts section of the Creative Cloud Desktop app and making sure that the needed font(s) are actually activated. If the fonts are showing as activated but they are still not showing up in InDesign then you might try signing out from Creative Cloud and then signing in again. This will sometimes work to shake things up with a user's connection to the cloud fonts. If they are manually installed then they need to be installed in a central location so that the fonts are available to all programs. On a Mac that means installing them in either the main level library fonts folder or the user library fonts folder. More simply they can be installed using a font management utility such as Suitcase, FontExplorer or Apple's native Font Book. To install on a PC see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/add-a-font-b7c5f17c-4426-4b53-967f-455339c564c1. It is not a good idea to try and install fonts within a program's application folder.

As Willi pointed out, though, it could also be a case of having more than one version of the font on your computer and not having the correct one open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @nerf64 :

Two thoughts:

1. Take a look at the Control panel. When in Character view (the A button ), it will list the Typeface and the Style. If either of them is shown in brackets, it means is not available. Sometimes it is one, sometimes the other. In my screenshot, both are missing. The pink highlighting on the page is meant to get your attention, but the brackets specifiy exactly what the issue is. 
    missing fonts.png
  2. You activate fonts accessed through fonts.adobe.com with your CC subscription. If you are having a hard time activating them in InDesign, got to http://fonts.adobe.com and try activating them through the browser. You install fonts obtained through other sources. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines