• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is the mouse pointer huge in InDesign?

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2015 Feb 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated InDesign CC 2014 and now my mouse pointer appears huge in the InDesign interface.  It appears normal size when hovering over toolbars though.  I have attached two images to show what I am describing.  The mouse pointer also appears normal size in other Photoshop, Illustrator and everywhere else in my PC, so I'm pretty sure the problem was caused by the update.  The huge mouse pointer appears in all InDesign files, so I know it's not a file related issue.  Any ideas on how to get it back to normal?

IMG_2007.jpgIMG_2008.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

There is another thread here:@ Illustrator CC 2014 interface size too big.

Please follow the instructions:

• Close all Adobe applications.
  • Right click on "my computer" icon
  • Click properties
  • Select Advanced System Settings or Advanced Tab (Based on your OS)
  • Click on the "Environment Variables..." button.
  • Click New... button on System Variables section, You can also set this in User Variables section, if you would like to keep the change limited to current logged in user
  • In the "New system variable" dialog,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
May 21, 2015 May 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cchimi wrote:

Adding the text variable did make the cursor the correct size for me, but it also made everything else in the UI unworkably tiny. I had to remove it.

+1.

Until I saw these later posts, I thought it was just that my eyesight was lousy!

Hoping for a good solution,

edsager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 22, 2015 May 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to follow up on my own situation (which might be slightly different than some of the others here, but is certainly related), I did finally get it to look and work correctly. I should note that I was having the problem when connecting my laptop to an external monitor. I tried a few of the solutions listed here, but what worked for me was the suggestion from @galwaybarry (although I couldn't make it work at first because, I think, the dialog is different for laptops). So, I did:

(Also using windows 8)

1. Right Click on desktop
  2. Select 'Personalise'
  3. Select 'display' on bottom left
  4. Check "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays"
  5. Select 'Custom sizing options' in the centre of the window
  6. Change 'Scale to this percentage of normal size' to 124%
  7. Click ok

This isn't really ideal; I'd rather let Windows scale differently based on the display. But at least I can work. This also fixed the menu calibration problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This absolutely worked.  Thanks for posting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2015 Jun 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! This totally worked! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!!!! That worked for me in photoshop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS WORKED FOR MY FRIEND ON INDESIGN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Mouse icons are huge in InDesign only, not other apps, but not when hovering over tool panels, etc. Only when hovering over the document. Still have not found a solution? I have been just living with it for weeks now. This started happening long after installing the software and new operating system. Seems random. Not clue what caused it all of the sudden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Variable worked for me also.

Thank you,

edsager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys,

Just found another really easy way to update this, go into Indesign and click Edit> Preferences> UI Scaling

If the button is ticked and option: Scale to higher Supported Scale is selected then changed this to Scale to lower supported scale and click ok.

Restart Indesign and it should be fixed.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me and so quick and easy.... Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did work for me, and it was much faster and simpler than some of the other solutions, but it also made EVERYTHING in my entire workspace so tiny. This has happened for every solution I have tried. I can live with the mouse pointer and tools being huge, but having the entire workspace so small drives me crazy. Do you know how to get the best of both worlds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2015 May 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time using InDesign on my laptop and was also having the same issue.  Thanks lisam17026619‌!  This was an easy fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ! Worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2015 May 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - this worked excellently!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me too! Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lisam17026619​ Your solution should be at the top of this post. Thank you. It worked for me. Panels also seem to be at correct size as well as mouse cursor. (I was having this issue has I was upgraded to a new laptop and updated to most current version of InDesign CC2019.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this and still the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine as well. SO tired of the giant cursor which is only in InDesign. This seems to have happened late last summer after InDesign updates, and nothing I try helps. VERY frustrating. I am on a Surface 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Surface Book (2 I think), and also have this issue. Adding the variable did not fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here we are in 2024 and my InDesign just started this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this and the UI scaling solution and no change.  Does anyone else have anything else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines