• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is there a limit on cell/row height in InDesign?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a table that is a type of "run of show" document and formatting for iPad for events. 

The copy is getting clipped due to cell height max. Not sure why there is a limit, and "fixes" on previous versions of iD don't work in the new CC versions.

Does anyone have a version relevant fix? (Adobe Creative Cloud 2019)

TOPICS
EPUB , How to , Print , Publish online , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

There is a cell height limit of 21.1 cms or 50 picas. However, you can increase that amount.

First select the cells that you want to change using the Text tool. Choose Table > Cell Options > Text. Click on the Rows and Columns tab. There is a cell labeled "Maximum". Increase the Maximum to what ever you need to make your cells higher.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a cell height limit of 21.1 cms or 50 picas. However, you can increase that amount.

First select the cells that you want to change using the Text tool. Choose Table > Cell Options > Text. Click on the Rows and Columns tab. There is a cell labeled "Maximum". Increase the Maximum to what ever you need to make your cells higher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barbara_Ash

Thanks for the tip. This worked for my needs, and can be considered "answered."

However, I still see that there is an "ultimate" limit to the height (8640 px). Is there are reason why there would be a limit to a table cell height/is there a way to modified this upper limit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christopher,

by scripting I could e.g. apply a value like 30000 to the height of a cell.

That was in Points. About 10583 mm, more than an InDesign page can meassure in height. Nearly double the height of the maximum page height. Is that enough?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't we make a row zero height? At some point, I want a row take no space when there are no content.
In my case, I can't delete the row too, since this row will be populated later on!

I don't have any inset or strokes, but the minimum cell height InDesign allows is 1.058mm (check attachment). How to make it zero? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shiv Allva.

the answer is no.

In a couple of the previous versions of InDesign, CS4 or CS5 I think, this once was possible. But only by scripting.

It must be pointed out that this is not possible with newer versions of InDesign.

See this discussion from 2017:

Table strokes
unyq, Aug 21, 2017

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/table-strokes/m-p/9267997#M61443

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crazy, isn't?

For now, I will go with deleting the row entirely and will add an attribute on the following row (as a hook) to keep track and insert row (if needed) later on.

Anyways, thanks for your valuable information!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shiv Allva,

I'd love to see a regular feature to either set the height of a given table row to 0 or to hide a table row or a table column. Just check InDesign UserVoice if there is a feature request and support it by voting. Or do your own feature request:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Old topic, but instead of trying to flow a massive one-cell table column over many pages, I think I'd use a separate text flow for each column. Story A is, say, dates and flows in a one-inch column at the left; Story B is venues and flows in a two-inch adjacent column; Story C is presenters, a one-inch column... etc. Some issues with lining up the content but styles should handle that.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines