Exit

Why the round corner object automatically changed

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to ask.

I need to change the version from InDesign CS5.5 to CC 2022

When I open an artwork in InDesign CC 2022, why the round corner object has automatically changed ?

I didn't set any further.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Remark: This object made by 

1. Create object by Rectangle Frame Tool
  2. Create text frame "Page 12" > Paste Into the rectangle frame > Fit Frame to Content > Clike Rounded

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

I found a copy of CS5.5 on an old laptop. It seems to use the "bad" method of drawing rounded corners with the flats and slightly skewed arcs. Worse, it doesn't seem to scale the radius if you scale the size of the frame, so you can get some real distortions.

I would say if there is a particular look you need to match you should recreate the object from scratch in the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not understand why you do that:

Remark: This object made by 

1. Create object by Rectangle Frame Tool
  2. Create text frame "Page 12" > Paste Into the rectangle frame > Fit Frame to Content > Clike Rounded

As far as I remember there was a terrible bug with round corners which could cause automatic numbers to be shown revers if an uneven number of round corners were found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this section, I'm just explaining how to create this object. (this is the method from the original file)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a major change in how automatic rounded corners are calculated and drawn in newer versions which results in flat spots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I no longer have CS5.5 installed, but I've taken a look at CS6 and CC2021, and CS 2022 and there has certainly been some evolution in how the corner effects are handled. It looks to me like that bug is fixed, actually, in the two later versions, so perhaps some additional information and maybe a sample file would help narrow this down.

In your screen shots above, which is from CS5.5? This might be a case where in one version the corner radious is scaling with the frame size change and is not changing in the other version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screen shot of your left hand side is an artwork from CS5.5.

RosiePak_0-1652708277273.png

Actually, I need to know what caused it, so that I can explain to my team the cause correctly. And to be a point to be careful after we have version changes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Spier is right!

The behavior of rendering the rounded corners has changed. With InDesign 2020.

A long-standing feature request from the community. There even was a bug report that is marked as "fixed" now:

Rounded corners aren't perfectly rounded
Anonymous, September 11, 2017
https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/31342915-rounded-corner...

Note: The first implementation of this new behavior was with InDesign CC 2019 version 14.0.3.422.

But this version was withdrawn or the next bug fix version of InDesign CC 2019 after that had the old rendering behavior again so that the change was effective with the full version change to InDesign 2020.

With InDesign 2020 and later the rounding of the corners follow the rounding of a circle arc that you can draw with a frame tool like the Oval Frame tool holding the Shift key.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say thank you everyone for your help.
I think I can understand why this happened.

Thank you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe,

Do you remember when the corner rounding algorithm was first changed? I feel like at some point there were two methods for doing rounded corners -- the one where you apply them through the corner options dialog and another, perhaps using the pathfinder or pen tool when you needed the true arcs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original file (CS 5.5) was created in May 2021. Then, I need to use this file as the base data to modify to new content by using InDesign CC 2022 version.

The new artwork file was created in May 2022. And I found that the rounded corners changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a copy of CS5.5 on an old laptop. It seems to use the "bad" method of drawing rounded corners with the flats and slightly skewed arcs. Worse, it doesn't seem to scale the radius if you scale the size of the frame, so you can get some real distortions.

I would say if there is a particular look you need to match you should recreate the object from scratch in the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much for your helping and instruction. I will use this information for sharing my team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines