Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 10 Pro, InDesign 2019 file not opening taking long time

Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

We have issues across production, InDesign files are not opening taking long time and getting freeze.

Not able to identify issue. 

Shaji

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Thanks Peter Kahrel,

Yes, I have already checked related to his. Copied the file in local machine and  disconnected the server and its opening instantly.

Right now we got solution with InDesign Server, written script to relink indesign file to new path and separate thread is alloted for this and it took 2 to 3 min to relink the file rather than waiting for 30min.

Also created IN and OUT watch folder for production they will place the file and server will re-link and save the file in OUT folder.

Than

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Shaji25230243251z ,

We're so sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please share a few more details like:

1. The version of ID and OS.
  2. Is this happening with a specific file or multiple files?
  3. Are the files saved on a local drive or on any network folder synched locally?
  4. Have you tried changing the location of the file?

We're here to help, just need more information.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Rishabh

1. The version of ID and OS.

• We tried to open the files in all version CC19, CC20, CC22. 
  • Windows 10 Pro

• All files created before April 2022. After April we have changed NAS storage. All files are moved to new location. Issue is related to images, while opening InDesign is searching for images so that its taking around 30min to open older files.
  • I tried to switch off preference-->File handling-->Check links before opening. No luck as well.
  • Also we have reset the prefrences as well.

3. Are the files saved on a local drive or on any network folder synched locally?

• All files are in network folder, eveyone having access to that its production path.

4. Have you tried changing the location of the file?

• Copied to local drive and tried, still no luck.

Shaji

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Processor? RAM? What exact build of Windows 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear BobLevine,

Its Core i7, with 16GB RAM and SSD with 500GB.

Shaji

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

•  

• All files created before April 2022. After April we have changed NAS storage. All files are moved to new location. Issue is related to images, while opening InDesign is searching for images so that its taking around 30min to open older files.

This sounds like the source of the problem. I'm surprised turning off link checking didn't help. Did you do that with no files open? Seems like that ought to be a global preference rather than file specific, but I don't know, and if it's not global you'll have to deal with each file at least once to relink to the new locations.

We've seen a lot of posts over the years from users who've done similar moves and the only thing that helped, as I recall, was to make sure the path names of the new storage are edited to match the old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Peter,

Without opening document i have switch of the link checking. And quit Indesign and re-open and cross checked before opening the file.

Right now production opening each document which is taking almost 30min then they are relinking the files, new storage path is not same.

Also we have checking in some of the machines the same configuration machine and same version of InDesign file are opening fast.

After re-link and saved there were no issue.

But opening file is killing time in production. We have around 500 indesign files its a journal.

Wasting so much of time to open a file. 

Any other solution to open file faster, so that production can link it.

Shaji

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried a simple save as IDML, open the IDML file, and save back to INDD?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

As I read the reponses, this problem only occurs the first time a pre-April 2022 file is opened if the links are fixed and the file is saved, so it seems perhaps unnecessary to do the export. Nor do I think an export to .idml will have much effct on missing links.

That said, Kasyan wrote a script: http://kasyan.ho.ua/indesign/all/blind_open_and_idml-export.html that does the export without opeing the file on screen which might speed up the process if export is desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was another post of a file taking a long time to open. Doing an IDML wash seemed to solve the problem.

I figured "what's the harm". It's a process of elimination and that would just be one item to check off the list.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David Creamer,

To export IDML i need to open the file, problem here is opening it take 30min according to the file, if file having more images is taking more than that to open.

Once opened I can relink the images to new path and save the file, no issue after that.

Shaji

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also see this problem a lot when opening InDesign documents with links to images on a reote server. Even when link-checking is disabled, InDesign seems to check the links anyway. This is Windows only and happens when the link's path has this form:

\\000.000.000.000\abc\def\ghi\image.png

But with links that have this form:

d:\dir\dir\image.png

the problem doesn't occur, even if that path is a remote-network path. Probably InDesign thinks this is on my local disk (I have a drive D on my disk) and doesn't bother to look on a network.

It's not a new problem, but one which is very frutrating. It has been reported, but it's one of those problems that isn't dealt with.

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Peter Kahrel,

Yes, I have already checked related to his. Copied the file in local machine and  disconnected the server and its opening instantly.

Right now we got solution with InDesign Server, written script to relink indesign file to new path and separate thread is alloted for this and it took 2 to 3 min to relink the file rather than waiting for 30min.

Also created IN and OUT watch folder for production they will place the file and server will re-link and save the file in OUT folder.

Thank you all for your response.

Shaji

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines