• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word Index Import anomaly

Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't import books with fully live indexes too often, so I don't mind saying I got bit by this on a recent project.*

WHY does ID import footnotes, end notes and TOCs without a hitch, and without complication, if asked to do so in the import options... but only import indexes (1) as markers that need to be used to generate a real, live-linked index, with or without (2) importing the dead "Index Text"?

IMVH&MEO**, this is pointlessly complicated and unnecessarily confusing. It seems as if ID could re-generate that index as an integral step, as with the other elements. Or did I miss something somewhere?

* Worked with the "dead" index too long before realizing it was static.

** "and moderately experienced"

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢
TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Which is why there is a checkbox option to import or ignore the "index text"—exactly as it should be. But to me, this is confusing in that "import index text" implies it will import an updated, live list like the TOC or end notes.

But ID doesn't import anything but index markers, requiring the designer to generate and place the new index. Which is fine... except that the import process is completely mute about this, and (again) reinforces the notion that "import text" means "import the index."

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An index shows the current page and the page number is different than it was in the Word Document. It makes no sense to import this information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which is why there is a checkbox option to import or ignore the "index text"—exactly as it should be. But to me, this is confusing in that "import index text" implies it will import an updated, live list like the TOC or end notes.

But ID doesn't import anything but index markers, requiring the designer to generate and place the new index. Which is fine... except that the import process is completely mute about this, and (again) reinforces the notion that "import text" means "import the index."

As long as you *know*, through training or experience, that the index must be generated and placed, this is a non-issue. But as the Word import is already sufficiently... quirky, and it imports three of four live-linked elements, it could be a lot clearer about how it manages the index import.

IMHO.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines